Rayban

What's With The Skulls?

Skulls ?? Hmmm........... everybody I know has one:cheers:

YES but some people seem to not notice that as long as you are alive the skull is covered with leather ( skin ) so the ugly bare bones are not so obvious. To me skulls represent DEATH as in skull and cross bone on poision. While I admit it takes skill to put them on leather I wonder why a person would choose to put a symbol of death on anything that is supposed to be beauty.

This is just MY opoinion others have theirs and I respect that.

I would also like to point out that it is not a new "FAD", if you go back into some of the Royal Crown's units, the 17th Lancers for example. They had the skull and crossbones on their helmets. They were also known as the death or glory boys. This by the way was during the mid to late 18th century, during the AWI.

my .02

Bob

But to flip it around...what's with all the flowers? ;)

Chris

Chris I am with you - I dont understand the cowboy fascination with flowers - I mean these are about as tough and rugged blokes as you are going to come across (they ride angry bulls for fun right ?) and yet they're having their gear adorned with pretty much the most effeminate symbol that exists.

Im in the love skulls crowd. I dont think that it comes from a place of anger or hate at all - for me its more a fascination and embracing of the unknown but (obviously) inevitable.

BUT....I do look on in awe at some of the sheridan etc carving that I see in these forums. So much talent and while I'd never do it (remember i mentioned the talent bit) I can see the beauty in it.

I enjoyed reading all the opinions pertaining to the "skull thing" and found them very interesting.

Why they are revered is a mystery and simply personal preference in my mind. When I began doing pyrography, I had a number of folks requesting different versions/renditions but never bothered to ask any questions. When I put pyrograhy on wood on the back burner and went the leather route, I received even more requests. Most were without the heavy "gore", and not something that would scare folks that cared to look at them. Most were motorcycle and tattoo versions that the folks had seen and requested something similar on leather. Many pieces were pieces of leather to hang on the wall and not placed on saddlebags or clothing, to my knowledge.

Swastikas? Have done a few but not for something representing the Nazi Era but the western Indians and a few other cultures/countries of the world. It is a very old symbol but most folks think of it as a Nazi creation and only associate it with the horrors of that time period.

I think that the use of skulls, etc; are something like, "opinions" of which everyone in the world has and lives by. I don't want to be judgemental of folks and do my best to fill life with laughter and good cheer and never put off by opinions of other. Just don't care for folks that cannot find happiness and attempt to make the life of others miserable. That said, I don't think I could ever come up with a definitive reason why we do what we do and like what we like. Sort of like having a preference of cars; some like Fords, others like Chinese GM or some other foreign make. Just what makes the world go round and makes folks happy.

Hope I did not offend anyone as that is/was not my intention. Just a super senior blowing off some steam, in a kindly manner.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday and has a wonderful life ahead.

God Bless us all.

Wonderful piece of work. Like somethiong out of this world. Make a great Star Trek being. Love to see the creative ability of others. *** SUPERB *** Is all I can say. You should write an instructional manual, explaing the "how to"s". Probably have one taker, a very old senior that cannot learn enough.

God Bless.

Ray

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the allure of feeling like a bad ass, whether or not that concept aligns with reality or not. Sometimes people just want to feel cool though of course what that quantifies that concept of 'cool' is subjective to each person. And of course the words synonymous with cool depend on generation, ie: rad, hip, swell.

grinz_helmet_by_azmal-d30fyyx.jpg

Whether it's wearing a skull helmet at a renaissance festival or convention, or jacket with skulls, or motorcycle seat, or having some skulls on their book case (as I do by happenstance) people sport such apparel and own such possessions because they feel that, or project that, style reflects an aspect of their personality. Or they temporarily play the role as such.

Though of course the skull themes are overplayed by my estimation, I think that's due in part to a lack of imagination. Other reasons are likely the culprit though. While of course nothing new, it became an accepted fad in our modern culture and people often won't deviate from the accepted norm, even if that norm is an offshoot of something abnormal. Also, the skull in particular is rather iconic and the grim connotations are instantly recognizable. It's easy to grasp the point as it were, when depicted in art or fashion. I think that helps it be so wide spread too. When you are surrounded by the culture you will notice things like grave stones, caskets, demons, and all sorts of other similar themed items but the skull is also able to be personalized with characteristically human attributes like angry looking eyes and such. So it is much easier to get a certain impact with skulls.

This is all conjecture of course; personal speculation since the topic was broached. I normally don't spend much time on forums, easy to get drawn in and hard to get work done but today is a sick day as it happens.

This new fad is stemming from "sugar skulls".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calavera

Women are really getting into the duality of the "pretty" and the "toughness" together. Go check out tattoo parlors in a major city near you; there'll be some young girl whincing while getting sugar skulls or something similar tattooed on her lower back or ankle.

It's like the Iron Cross fad; the root of the symbol and its usage far pre-dates the sudden rise in popularity.

Just what's trendy(from the newest of newbies)

I am an old man and several generations older than you I suspect but I will never understand why anyone would want to display something like this anywhere.

Has nothing to do with you and your work. :)

ferg

This new fad is stemming from "sugar skulls".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calavera

Women are really getting into the duality of the "pretty" and the "toughness" together. Go check out tattoo parlors in a major city near you; there'll be some young girl whincing while getting sugar skulls or something similar tattooed on her lower back or ankle.

It's like the Iron Cross fad; the root of the symbol and its usage far pre-dates the sudden rise in popularity.

Just what's trendy(from the newest of newbies)

I am an old man and several generations older than you I suspect but I will never understand why anyone would want to display something like this anywhere.

Has nothing to do with you and your work. :)

ferg

I've never been into skulls and don't do them. I am mildly obsessed with tigers, though. To be fair, I ride a Harley Cross Bones, but I'm attracted to the style of the bike and not how tough a name may sound, haha.

I may not like the subject matter of a lot of people's art, but always enjoy art that's done with great skill and talent; just not going to see me covered in flaming skulls anytime soon.

I watched that movie the other night, I was real bored. LOL

ferg

1346773267[/url]' post='263103']

I've never been into skulls and don't do them. I am mildly obsessed with tigers, though. To be fair, I ride a Harley Cross Bones, but I'm attracted to the style of the bike and not how tough a name may sound, haha.

I may not like the subject matter of a lot of people's art, but always enjoy art that's done with great skill and talent; just not going to see me covered in flaming skulls anytime soon.