Sign in to follow this  
ibonn

First Attempt On Horse Carvings

For a few years now, I admire the work posted on the leatherowrker forum but I didn't dare to post pictures of my work. I've learned a lot here and now I feel it's time to show some of my work.

Hereunder are my first attempts in carving horses. I've been tooling since 2008 but as there is little experience in leather work here in Holland it was mostly self-taught through Youtube and books. Last year I found a leather worker who was willing to teach me and correct my work. But still, I wasn't happy only making western style patterns as he did.

Yaklady's pictures of her horse carvings opened a world to me, this was what I was looking for and I used her pictures as an inspiration for my work. The first picture is honestly my first attempt on carving horses, I saw the front page of a Dutch magazin and inspiration hit.

Please comment my work, I need the opinions of experienced leatherworkers to improve my work.

Foto-ZIZIAAHP.jpgFoto-SJQAPOIN.jpg

Picture of my own horse during a cross country training

Foto-DG8AEF6O.jpgFoto-ULDCNTIL.jpg

Some pictures from friends and in the middle, the one that gave me inspiration

Foto-ZZMX3JRY.jpgFoto-IEAMO7FQ.jpgFoto-OONNCKDF.jpg

This will be the seat of the sitting stick, inspired by a hunting theme.

Foto-TN7SZ466.jpg

Please let me know what you ding of my work, good or bad :yes::whatdoyouthink:

Further I have a question for the experienced carvers: How can you make or show a white star on the head or white socks on the legs when not using leather paint? I like the pictures with as little stain as possible, I only color the outlines with Antique stain.

I think you have done a really nice work. The first two and the last one are my favorites,

Nice details! Love this style. Are you try use antique finish?

Brillinat tooling there, Im just starting to practice some horse carvings, but they are not as good as yours!

How can you make or show a white star on the head or white socks on the legs when not using leather paint?

I'm not an experienced carver but if you used block out on the area in question then it would appear lighter.

Beautiful work, how did you make the tree impressions on the last one?

Kevin.

post-19342-037506200 1327854611_thumb.jp

Edited by Tree Reaper