6 String Jams

Hello There From Nc

Greetings Everyone! New member here from North Carolina. I'm here to LEARN. I was at a Renaissance Festival a few weekends ago and happened across a man making custom leather accessories. He had some beautiful pieces. I got to thinking that this would be something i would be very interested in. I have an art background. I'm a graphic Designer, i love all things related to art, and i love to CREATE things. After a few google searches, i happened upon this site, and after seeing some of the BEAUTIFUL work on here, i'm completely and utterly hooked on leathercraft.

I have absolutely ZERO prior experience with leather, other than a wallet kit or two from Scouts long ago....I've been reading the internet and this site trying to gain as much knowledge of this craft as possible. I was at a local ReStore warehouse and happend upong an entire Stock of leather samples from a local Furniture Company, so i picked some up in hopes to start off my adventures with a wallet or check book holder of some sorts....Again, i'm new at all of this so i'm still trying to learn about patterns, tools, hand-stitching methods. etc......

I love the fact that leather can be a blank canvas, and a beautiful one at that. Any info/ help along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Be Well!

Welcome to the forum!

Hello NC man.....

Greetings from SW-Virginia....

As a Graphic designer you should be ahead of us in about 6 month or so.....because the design and the art part of leather is often very challenging....spelling for me...haha...

but seriously, great to have you on here and put your flippers on, get your hair tied back and jump right in!! There are tons of people like you on here....more tons of people with great skills!!

Wallets are a great way to start, make yourself a template for the kind of wallet you want...then cut it out of poster board, add design and when it looks good then cut out of leather....the outside should be somewhat stiffer 3-5 oz the inside can be 1-3 oz....make it plain or fancy, hand stitch or lace...finish and step back and be proud of yourself!!!

Keep us posted and come back often!!!

Greetings

James

Welcome from down In the Indian Trail, NC area. What part of NC are you in? Don't post much but been doing custom leather for many years

Curt Gillock

www.twofoolsleathergoods.com