watersnake

Ruby Blades

Could anyone tell me if Ruby blades need to be sharpened when they are in constant use .. If so what do you use to sharpen then

Ron

Don't dare attempt to sharpen!!! They are antiques! I beleive they are anyways!!! I have one, and prefer it rather than the ceramic ones I have, and ceramics don't need sharpening either!!!

Could anyone tell me if Ruby blades need to be sharpened when they are in constant use .. If so what do you use to sharpen then

Ron

Me too have a couple of them :-)

I only strop them on leather, thats enough to get them sharp again.

Don't dare attempt to sharpen!!! They are antiques! I beleive they are anyways!!! I have one, and prefer it rather than the ceramic ones I have, and ceramics don't need sharpening either!!!

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Ron

Actually Ron, they can be sharpened. But, because of what they are, that is "RUBY", which is only one step down from diamond, which is the top of the hardness scale, the only thing that is going to work is a diamond stone and/or diamond paste.

The "rubyat blade" was designed and produced to never need conventional sharpening and never should - unless: the edge is damaged. The original listing in the Tandy catalog stated :

"Rubyat Ever-sharp Gem Ruby Blade NEVER needs sharpening, stropping, or honing."

Tina is absolutely right - only strop them on a clean piece of leather. This should pull of any residue which is causing the blade to drag. For tough gunk, soak a bit in soapy water. Do not use any solvents which may break the cement bond between the ruby and the brass!

Technically, stropping them on any strap with compound should not hurt them since ruby is harder than stropping compounds, unless they are ruby or diamond based. But then, they won't do you any good either.

As to sharpening: if the blade is nicked, then it will require re-sharpening. I believe it has been stated on here that Bob Beard, the toolmaker, offers this service. I haven't tried him since I'm kinda of a do-it-myself guy. I had one chipped rubyat blade that was my brother's when we were kids. I put it back in action by carefully honing it back to a sharp point on a bonded fine diamond honing plate and finished polishing it up with diamond paste on a piece of thick plate glass. I have also used the diamond paste on glass to polish up ceramic blades that were dragging a bit.

I actually do not use any of my rubyat blades often as the ceramic blades work just as good, and are much easily replaced. The only problem with ceramic blades is that they do not come in some of the thicknesses that I prefer. And basically" a properly sharpened steel blade will cut that hide fine as it is much harder than any piece of leather.