LilRay

"automatic" Walking Foot?

I know nothing much of sewing machines but I ran across what someone called an "automatic" walking foot. What exactly does this mean, and what differences would an auto have over standard?

God Bless, Ray

I have never heard that term used before. It sounds like a marketing ploy.

Walking foot machines are driven by gears, cranks and cams and are made in several configurations, with compound (triple) feed being the best and most popular. No matter which particular system is used, the feet must move in time with the motion of the needle and feed dog.

I have published an exhaustive article at the top of this forum, describing various industrial sewing machine drive systems, including some photos. Walking foot machines are covered in depth. I recommend that you read it if you are new to leather sewing machines.

I know nothing much of sewing machines but I ran across what someone called an "automatic" walking foot. What exactly does this mean, and what differences would an auto have over standard?

God Bless, Ray

Ray,

Sounds like someone is referring to a walking foot machine with labor saving devices, also known as an underbed trimmer (UBT), or full function machine. Can't do anything more or less than a regular walking foot, if you will, but has features that would assist the operator such as auto back tack, auto foot lift, needle positioner, underbed trimmers, and may have a programmer or control panel that would allow you to do auto back tack at start of a run, end of run, etc.

Good reference machine would be Juki LU-1510-7, or a HIghlead GC20618-1-D

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Most "automatic" machines are used for high production runs where the machine is set up to do the same length piece many times over. All the operator does is put the piece in and, in some cases, just hit the pedal. The foot drops, machine back tacks, sews the required number of stitches, back tacks again, trims the thread ends and lifts the foot. Essentially the operator is reduced to being a feeding device.