Nick69

How Much Pressure?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I have been working with leather for a while now but have a need to use a large stamp. Its 1.25"x8". Ive had the magnesium plate made and tried it by hammer (nowhere near enough presuure) then in a bench vice (again not enough) so now I come to you guys.

What would you sudgest I use to stamp something of this size?

Thanks

Nick

Nick,

On something that size you are going to need to use some kind of a press. I use a hydraulic jack shop press with my plates. I put a scrap piece of steel over them big enough to cover and spread the force out.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think 1 ton would be enough?

I've been looking at Arbor presses and the costs appear reasonable or would a press like yours be a safer bet?

Nick,

I would probably go with all I could find. I have seen a guy use a one ton with some makers stamp size plates and do OK. Yours is a pretty good sized plate. It kind of depends on the leather and how cased it is also. On mine I get the best results by casing them up good and letting the surface get back to drier than I would for stamping. Then I press and leave the pressure on for a good 20-30 seconds. They color up well doing that and the detail holds better for me.

I think I may make one of these Dwights press and see how it gets on.

Attached is a pic of my press I made. With a plate the size you are talking about it woudl take everything I had to wind it tight enough.

Aaron

post-2349-046595800 1321740840_thumb.jpg