Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Kimber Solo Paddle Holster

I really dislike using, making, and generally looking at, paddle holsters.

However I have a friend who prefers them over all other options.

So I started out with a spare Galco paddle and ended up with this. He was very happy with it.

Drum dyed W&C 7-8oz saddle skirting, ostrich leg from Springfield. Attached to the paddle using #6 tee-nuts (sandwiched between the neg-tan backed ostrich leg and the main body) that engage into the holes in the Galco paddle and secured with some stainless #6 pan head screws and flat washers.

IMG_3805Medium.jpg

Shooter

You may hate making them but it doesn't show in the finished product. That is tea tottaly awesome!

Excellent. have you ever made one with a leather paddle?

Excellent. have you ever made one with a leather paddle?

how would a leather paddle hold up? would you sandwich a piece of Kydex between 2 pieces of 3 to 4oz leather?

how would a leather paddle hold up? would you sandwich a piece of Kydex between 2 pieces of 3 to 4oz leather?

I have made a couple of paddle holsters using two 7/8 pieces glued/sewn rough side out. So far no problems. These are for range holsters for folks that do not wear belts. I was curious if anyone else has EXPERIENCE with leather paddles.

Beautiful job, I'm sure your friend loves it.

all of my paddle holsters are leather with kydex strip inside for rigidity. way more comfortable than the plastic paddles. using only a 1 1/4 kydex strip in the middle also allows the leather on the sides to conform to the body.can't find the back and side view pictures. but the flesh side sits against the body on these.

Tony

post-10372-085023800 1322103772_thumb.jp

post-10372-043701000 1322103794_thumb.jp

I really dislike using, making, and generally looking at, paddle holsters.

However I have a friend who prefers them over all other options.

So I started out with a spare Galco paddle and ended up with this. He was very happy with it.

Drum dyed W&C 7-8oz saddle skirting, ostrich leg from Springfield. Attached to the paddle using #6 tee-nuts (sandwiched between the neg-tan backed ostrich leg and the main body) that engage into the holes in the Galco paddle and secured with some stainless #6 pan head screws and flat washers.

IMG_3805Medium.jpg

Nice work! What paddle did you use? I have some uncle mike's but like yors better. Post apic of the back side.

all of my paddle holsters are leather with kydex strip inside for rigidity. way more comfortable than the plastic paddles. using only a 1 1/4 kydex strip in the middle also allows the leather on the sides to conform to the body.can't find the back and side view pictures. but the flesh side sits against the body on these.

Tony

That stingray holster is gorgeous. How do you stitch it? Do the nodules in the skin create any special problems?

tk

Tony

BTW: I'll have to try out that paddle...

tk

Edited by malabar

That stingray holster is gorgeous. How do you stitch it? Do the nodules in the skin create any special problems?

tk

thank you for the kind words. it was the first time i ever used it. will definitely charge more for the next one. stitched it with my Cobra 3 sewing machine. no special issues in sewing it, as the machine went through it nicely. but cutting it sure was hard. the stuff is hard as a rock.

Tony

Shooter that is on awesome looking paddle holster. :You_Rock_Emoticon: