ClayB

Leather rings Riddle

Just speculation- (I'm busy making stuff for 2 upcoming shows- if I get time, I'll try to make one)- I'd say, a leather washer, soaked & stretched on the narrow end & shrunk a bit on the wide end...

Just speculation- (I'm busy making stuff for 2 upcoming shows- if I get time, I'll try to make one)-

Ok, I stopped what I was doing to screw around with some scrap. Maybe it'll work, maybe not...

Edited by whinewine

:Lighten: Yesss! I did it! I figured it out!

Now I'll have to wait till my son comes by to upload the picture 'cause I'm too stooopid to figure this out for myself. :bike:

russ

If the neighbors cow will stand still long enough for me to grab it's tail I think I can make one.

Tom

Ha, ha, this place is amazing.

Somebody better tell those cows that they need to be looking over their shoulders.

I knew how it is done only because I sat and watched an older gentleman make two for a shaft packing on an old wooden fishboat. Took him maybe 15 to 20 minutes each as he was pretty particular about it and he used what I think you folks would call latigo that was dark brown and greasy to the touch. He had a handmade mandrel and a two piece wooden rounder type rig for final sizing/smoothing. Both the mandrel and the wooden block both had a polish and patina that showed it wasn't his first big one.

Since then I've seen forms of the same idea used on smaller sailboats. Apparently it's what you do where you can to the rigging to help keep it quiet....

I also spent 2 days with a man in Mexico who did it but in reverse with the hide side in and he was using them to cover 3 and 4 inch brass rings used in leads for show bulls. From memory it was maybe 7/8 oz cowhide, hand stiched, trimmed, edged, and burnished. His mandrels were ironwood and cowhorn.

Cow tails. I love it.

blackfly

While everyone was thinking of how to fashion one I was just thinking that cutting the skin from around the tail of the animal in cross sections and of course removing the tail bone and other 'in-nerds' then carefully tanning would have doen the same thing. Anyone else think that?

I see now that Carr52 had kind of the same idea. LOL

Hey Clay, That's a great riddle for people and I've been married for quite a while now and you gave me an Idea and saved me a bunch of money for a wedding ring. When I first saw it, I figured it out by looking at it and now my little wife is happy,,,,She now has a wedding ring. LOL Karl

Hey Karl,

Glad you figured it out. I still haven't :dunno: Clay Miller and I were discussing this last week and we had decided maybe you had to be in Australia for it to work, but I guess you blew that excuse for us. I'm gonna have to give it a couple more tries. So are you gonna set a stone on your wife's ring??

Yeah Clay, I gonna put a leather diamond in or on it.

Karl

Yeah here's the one I made shortly after I saw Peter's post about it. And mine really is somewhat narrower at one opening. No, the drawings don't mean anything. ;)

What I would just like to know is how I can make a wider one. . . :unsure:

L'Bum

no_joinLeatherRing.png

post-84-1215275641_thumb.png

Edited by Leather Bum

Well? Who's giving up the secret?? :blink:

Cindy, I hate to have to say this, but no one is giving up the secret, at least not publicly. Here's a hint I gave another member:

Look at the leather, see how it reacts to different things- including something that doesn't have to be there. I know that one will really twist your noggin in a knot, but that's the best way to get you to see it.

Whew! Ol' Bilbo would've been royally up a creek if he'd had to figure this one out.

:rofl:

Cindy, I hate to have to say this, but no one is giving up the secret, at least not publicly. Here's a hint I gave another member:

Look at the leather, see how it reacts to different things- including something that doesn't have to be there. I know that one will really twist your noggin in a knot, but that's the best way to get you to see it.

Whew! Ol' Bilbo would've been royally up a creek if he'd had to figure this one out.

:rofl: he could not do it thats why thy didn't put it in the show.

Edited by jbird

Very good fish,umm... Hammerhead.

Now, take those rings and put some of your extremely nice art work on them.