I've been asked to make a gunbelt for a customer that is 72 inches to the middle hole. I measured it myself, so I know it is the right size. I've only made a few gun belts, and this will be my second one with the machine. I ordered some 84 inch blanks from Springfield Leather. They should be here next week.

Now for my question. Are there any surprises when making one this size? I can't think, of any, but there could be something I'm not anticipating. I hope the bobbin will hold enough thread to go all the way around.

72 inches to the center hole. +3.5 inches for the fold at the buckle + 2 inches to add 2 more holes after the center hole and 3 inches to the end of the billet.

Thats 82.5 inches in my way of doing a belt. Id make sure Springfield knows you have no room for error in measuring the blank.

Which machine are you using to sew this bad boy? I have no idea if the bobbin will hold enough but I would think that you could sew one side swap to a new bobbin and continue from that point and sew to the back end.

I just finished one that was 56" in length and the biggest problem I had was some place to lay it down while I was dyeing it and putting the finish on it. Other than the size Id recommend a good strong buckle and don't skive the area for the slot too much.

What thickness did you order your blank in?

Michael

Thanks, Michael

I ordered 7/8 oz leather blanks. I will have the same problem. My dyeing area is only 60 inches, so I will have to extend it somehow. I have a Cobra 4. It has a large bobbin, but I haven't had it long enough to know how much a full bobbin covers.

Springfield advertises that their blanks are 84 inches, so I will believe them.

Edited by steelhawk

With a full bobbin you should have plenty of thread to make it around your belt.

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks, Michael

I ordered 7/8 oz leather blanks. I will have the same problem. My dyeing area is only 60 inches, so I will have to extend it somehow. I have a Cobra 4. It has a large bobbin, but I haven't had it long enough to know how much a full bobbin covers.

Springfield advertises that their blanks are 84 inches, so I will believe them.

Springfield is very good. If they say 84 then they are 84. Thats great. Have fun with this one and post a picture when its done.

How did this turn out? Any good lessons learned?

tk

It turned out well. I certainly learned more about my machine and belts in general while doing this. I didn't charge enough money for it, though. It is harder to work on one that long, since all my work spaces are shorter. I ended up getting a 6" wide piece of lumber 8 feet long to clamp to my work areas. This made work easier.

We've got a couple of orders, in the shop, for 74" belts. That means we have to cut them about 84". It's hard to find a double shoulder that big. But we're looking.

We've got a couple of orders, in the shop, for 74" belts. That means we have to cut them about 84". It's hard to find a double shoulder that big. But we're looking.

I ordered 84" belt strips from Springfield Leather. During checkout I told them in the comments section that I wanted 7 to 8 oz thickness on the strips.

Here's a pic of the finished thing. I has posted it earlier in the holster forum.

longBelt.jpg

Now that's a belt. You would almost have to put a stiffener in it to get the job done.

Nice work, by the way.

Thanks. That means a lot, coming from a great belt maker as yourself.