Iron Pounder

Singer 16-188 Or 31-15

I am looking at a 31-15 and a 16-188 to replace a Singer 66. We have tried to run 207 in both machines but doesn't stitch 100% all the time. I think we need bigger needles on both and it may work. As well as they both ran 207 it seems both will run 138 just fine. The 66 works fine but can't use anything bigger than 69 thread. I'm wanting the machine for belts (2 layer 8oz), wallets (2 layers of 3oz plus cloth liner), and anything else that I don't hand stitch. The 31 comes with a roller foot as well as the standard foot. The 16 is of course a walking foot but both machines seem to feed just fine. If anything the 16 marked the leather some but i think I could adjust most of that out. If I don't know any better it feels like the bottom feed starts moving just a bit before the top does. Sure seems like a lot of folks use a 31 so I'm kind of leaning that way. Anything I should be looking for in either machine? We have a 2" pulley on but man the machines will really run. I would prob put a servo on it. Downside to both is I can only get roughly 8 feet of 207 in the bobbin and I know that neither machine is made to ran that so maybe I will just give up and go with the 138.

What size thread do most of you use for belts?

I use either #138 or #277 for belts, depending on how thick they are. #138 is fine for thinner belts, up to about 12 ounces combined, with a suede lining. Once I cross 1/4 inch, I like #277, top and bottom, for the greater strength per stitch. This calls for a #26 needle.

I sew with #138 thread on my flatbed National walking foot machine. I can sew about a dozen belts per bobbin load (large M bobbin), with #138 bonded nylon thread. I use a #23 leather point needle.

The #277 is sewn on my Union Lockstitch machine. Its bobbins hold about one hundred yards of #277 thread.

Any thoughts on which machine and why? I think the 31 with a roller foot my be cool as far as doing some designs with thread. That is one thing about the 66 that is hard for me is to see right where I'm going. The 16 is a walking foot though and most folks say it is best to stay wtih a walking foot to do leather. Anyone use a 16-188?