Starman

Same Texture On Both Sides?

No it wont happen..........BUT YOU CAN LINE IT WITH THINNER LEATHER AND BURNISH THE EDGES.

No it wont happen..........BUT YOU CAN LINE IT WITH THINNER LEATHER AND BURNISH THE EDGES.

Hmmm.....there's gotta be a way!! (Gears start turning!)

Hmmm.....there's gotta be a way!! (Gears start turning!)

Not unless you can find a cow that has its outside skin on the inside as well as the outside . . . if you see what I mean! Perhaps an inside-out cow! :huh:

Luke, what an excellent idea. I would never have thought of that. Maybe we should tell Star that he can do it if he uses a floor sander to smooth it evillaugh.gifsince this is the second post I started to respond to him about, and he seems rather, uh, on the weak side of taking advice after he asks and gets it :-) If I ever ask a question, which I'll be asking tons, I want all the advice, good, bad and ugly. I really like your idea and may work that into a project, thanks.. Cheryl

Luke, what an excellent idea. I would never have thought of that. Maybe we should tell Star that he can do it if he uses a floor sander to smooth it evillaugh.gifsince this is the second post I started to respond to him about, and he seems rather, uh, on the weak side of taking advice after he asks and gets it :-) If I ever ask a question, which I'll be asking tons, I want all the advice, good, bad and ugly. I really like your idea and may work that into a project, thanks.. Cheryl

:You_Rock_Emoticon: LMAO

Edited by oldtimer

All you have to do is burnish the back, just like you do the edges and it will be shinier than the grain side. They used to do it on English riding boots all the time, I think it's called reverse waxed calf. After riding through briars and getting the boots scratched up, you just bone them and the scratches are gone. You don't see it too much anymore because people are too lazy.

Kevin

All you have to do is burnish the back, just like you do the edges and it will be shinier than the grain side. They used to do it on English riding boots all the time, I think it's called reverse waxed calf. After riding through briars and getting the boots scratched up, you just bone them and the scratches are gone. You don't see it too much anymore because people are too lazy.

Kevin

Kevin for us newbies, can you explain what you mean? like Bobby said he burnished the edge of a belt? and how do you 'bone' something? (I just found out what some tools like the wheely thing that was given to me a year ago do.) Thanks, Cheryl

Thanks, I try. innocent.gif ROFL

Thanks, I try. innocent.gif ROFL

Kevin for us newbies, can you explain what you mean? like Bobby said he burnished the edge of a belt? and how do you 'bone' something? (I just found out what some tools like the wheely thing that was given to me a year ago do.) Thanks, Cheryl

See? I don't even know how I managed to get all those quotes to just keep going on and on, sigh

I think everybody has their own method of burnishing edges, but someplace on here, Hidepounder has a tutorial that everyone seems to like. Boning is just adding wax, like parafin, and rubbing with a bone, piece of wood, piece of antler or anything smooth and hard. I don't like metal as it leaves a grey hue. To bone boots, you pretty much have to have the wooden trees in them to give you something firm to rub against, which is another reason people don't do it anymore as trees are as expensive, if not more so , than boots.

Kevin

I think everybody has their own method of burnishing edges, but someplace on here, Hidepounder has a tutorial that everyone seems to like. Boning is just adding wax, like parafin, and rubbing with a bone, piece of wood, piece of antler or anything smooth and hard. I don't like metal as it leaves a grey hue. To bone boots, you pretty much have to have the wooden trees in them to give you something firm to rub against, which is another reason people don't do it anymore as trees are as expensive, if not more so , than boots.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. When I said Bobby, I think that IS Hidepounder. I know it was a tutorial on here I downloaded and for some reason I remembered it being signed as Bobby. I know I read through it and made up a list of things I need to burnish edges that I don't currently have, one being wax. I have a bronc halter I made using old saddle leather, and after I read the tutorial I have been fighting with myself (THAT gets interesting) on whether I want to burnish the edge of the pattern I cut from the old leather, or just leave it dyed, but rough. The burnished edges are beautiful, but this is suppose to look rustic the way it's made. I don't know, going to take a pic of it tomorrow on my horse, and maybe I can ask for suggestions on that too. It ties on so would be easy to remove to burnish. And I am assuming boning works for any kind of leather so where this leather gets scratched being removed from the old saddle, as if all the holes wasn't enough, I can bone them. I'm getting so many ideas my mind won't stop racing. Cheryl