Sign in to follow this  
Chavez

Waxing The Thread

Hi!

Got myself some nice linen thread which needs to be waxed.

The thread was usung before was already waxed when I got it, so here's my question:

Do you wax your thread right before sewing, or do you just wax a spool or two in advance on a dark&cold winter evening and then use it when you need it?

Is there any difference if the thread has been waxed recently or a few months ago?

Thanks!

not having used linen yet, i'd say to wax only what you'll be using at that time. seems to make sense only because you wouldn't have to respool a large amount after having waxed a couple hundred feet.

Very good question! I would like to know how the pros here do this too.

Here is a tutorial for waxing thread from a quilter.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2274907_wax-sewing-thread-quilting-projects.html

It involves unwinding the thread around a prepared piece of cardboard, rubbing it with paraffin, then covering the thread with waxed paper and ironing with a warm iron.

Since some spools of thread are huge, I would wax several yards at a time, then wind it on a dowel or old wooden spool, for use.

Hi!

Got myself some nice linen thread which needs to be waxed.

The thread was usung before was already waxed when I got it, so here's my question:

Do you wax your thread right before sewing, or do you just wax a spool or two in advance on a dark&cold winter evening and then use it when you need it?

Is there any difference if the thread has been waxed recently or a few months ago?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link sylvia.

How does this iron method compare to the Al Stohlman's way described in "Hand stitching" book? (i.e. just feed the thread through a piece of wax.)

I only wax the tread as I'm going to use It. I would also use 100 percent pure beeswax. Beeswax will adhere to the thread better than beeswax that contains parafin or parafin.

Just my way.

Richard

Thanks for the link sylvia.

How does this iron method compare to the Al Stohlman's way described in "Hand stitching" book? (i.e. just feed the thread through a piece of wax.)

I don't know actually, I don't have that book and have never seen it. I agree with the other poster that uses beeswax though.. I would be wary of using paraffin if only because it's made from petroleum. Bees wax would be more soft and more "natural" I think.

It seems to me that if you wind the thread around the cardboard box like the tutorial does, and apply heat, the wax would be more likely to absorb into the thread's fibers. I've used the drag through wax method the other poster noted but instead of wax I used soap as it was what I had handy. I found the soap to just lay on the surface and it was a bit dusty to work with... but it did stop my bad habit of using my mouth as a third hand. Blech!

I make my own wax with about 60% beeswax and 40% pine pitch. A formula I learned from Chuck Burrows. It works well. I only wax the string I'm using for the project at hand.

Guapo

I make my own wax with about 60% beeswax and 40% pine pitch. A formula I learned from Chuck Burrows. It works well. I only wax the string I'm using for the project at hand.

Guapo

Guapo:

Do you buy the pine pitch or do you go pick it off a tree somewhere? I'm curious.

Merry Christmas!!!

Sylvia, I buy the pine pitch, however Chuck says he likes to harvest his own. I might someday when I have more energy. I bought a 1 pound block that will most likely last me forever.

Chavez, I just shave off what I need into a small metal pot and cook it over a camp stove outside. They melt together and I pour the cocktail into little, empty, plastic, yougurt containers. Makes a block just the right size for me. No problem with flame ups. The fire never touches the pitch. It just gets the pot warm enough to melt the contents. You could use a double boiler if you have concerns.

Guapo

Pitch and Wax resource;

Jas. Townsend & Son Inc.; www.jas-townsend.com.

beeswax was=$10/lb.

pitch was=$14.00/lb.

Guapo

Pitch and Wax resource;

Jas. Townsend & Son Inc.; www.jas-townsend.com.

beeswax was=$10/lb.

pitch was=$14.00/lb.

Guapo

LOL I'm gonna go molest the pine tree in the back yard... it seem to produce quite a bit of pitch.

Bees wax is another story... no way I'm paying $10 a pound.

Do you think violin rosin will do the job? As far as I'm aware its just some cleaned up pitch...

What is the purpose of adding pine tar by the way?

I alway get very excited about trying various "secret" homemade recipes, so I forget that the main purpose of all this is to make things work better =)

Thanks!

It's been my experience that it is more sticky than beeswax alone. I read somewhere, (now I can't find the source), that it has a natural anti-fungal agent. It also has glue properties and is used as a sealant.

If we get lucky Chuck Burrows will jump in here and give us the down low.

-Guapo

Edited by Guapo

Thanks!

When I have some free time I'll get some violin rosin and try to melt it down together with some beeswax in a pan in the kitchen.

Just hope that it all doesn't go up in flames and that mrs doesn't catch me messing with her kitchen =)

Hi!

I've mixed beeswax and rosin 60 to 40 and the result is good at first glance.

It's easier to wax the thread now but the wax is rather sticky.

Guapo, is that something you get when you make this mix?

Just a bit concerned that such thread might attract more dirt =(

Well, there's only 1 way to find out =)