Sign in to follow this  
mlapaglia

Got My Boss Today-Merry Christmas

The 4OZ spools have a tendency to add considerable resistance to releasing the thread and a lot depends on how they were laid up. I've got some off colors that I only have on 4OZ and I do what twinoaks recommended. It will really mess your stitching up if a loop sticks on the spool and you don't catch it. It happens occasionaly with the one pound spools but I can generally feel it and correct it before it's a problem but then I've been sewing with my two for a long while. Also twinoaks and particle made some good points in their posts.

Thanks for all the info. Read up one post where I explain how I got it fixed. It was mostly through all the information I got from you and everyone else.

Thanks again

Michael

You're welcome. Glad it's working.

Excellent!!!

Now.....get to stitching!!!!

P.S. You'll find your scrap bin invaluable for matching thicknesses when you need to adjust the tensions.

The fix I had didn't hold for more than a day. It went back to being almost impossible to push the handle at times. I set it aside until today. I called Tippmann and they are sending a new machine. They agreed there is something wrong with mine.

I can not complain with that kind of customer service. It is as good as I have heard. By Friday I should be up and running.

Thanks for everyone's help and hand holding. :grouphug5vj5:

Michael

Sorry to hear that the machine is a lemon, but it's always good to hear about superb customer service.

I'm sure you've already seen it, but if you haven't, the thread by Particle asking about the back side of the stitching is worth a bit of time.....It should help you with your tension settings/adjustments.

Thanks Mike,

In a way I'm glad it was broken. I was beginning to think I was being too picky but Ben said it was broken. I should have it by Friday.

I have that article bookmarked. I was reading it while i was trying to get the old machine to work. One thing I noticed it its possible to have the top tension set at a few different places and have the stitch look right. Since you can compensate with the lower tension you can have the tension set way to tight or loose and still make the stitch look correct. The problem is you then get into dropped stitches and tensions that are so tight its difficult to move the handle. I figured out how to set the shuttle tension with a 1 lb water bottle and a loaded bobbin. Once I had that set and the top tensions reset to factory setting I made small turns on the top tension and was able to dial it in without a lot of other issues.

Thanks

Michael

What was the final result, did you get the new machine and is it working for you?

Did they tell you what was wrong with the machine you returned?

Thanks.

Kevin.

What was the final result, did you get the new machine and is it working for you?

Did they tell you what was wrong with the machine you returned?

Thanks.

Kevin.

New Machine arrived Monday. I ship the other back tomorrow. The new one is working very well. I adjusted the thread tension arm to improve the quality of the stitch line but other than that it worked great out of the box. The advantage of starting out with a dead machine for the first 8 days is that I can take this one apart in my sleep now.

I can say that the problem is somewhere is the shuttle area. On the broken one the bobbin loop that forms actually goes around the shuttle and locks up against the needle thread. On the new one the bobbin thread never gets close to the needle thread at the shuttle level. Instead it forms above the shuttle where it should. I am not sure if I will hear what was officially wrong with the first one.

The whole thing was caused by holiday timing more than anything. I purchased it the Mon before Christmas. Bad weather kept it from being delivered. I picked it up from UPS on Sat 12/24. Discovered it was broken on the 24th. THey were closed for the holidays til the 2nd. If you cut out the holiday and weather time , the actually time involved was less than 4 days including shipping of the second unit. I am still impressed with Tippmanns customer service and happy with the Boss.

Michael