Sign in to follow this  
glockanator

Lining Question

I was asked to make a pancake style holster for a stainless steel luger. I am going to get some 8/9 leather but I was wondering what to get for the lining? Pig skin? what weight? Thanks

I generally do not use a lining unless asked for by the customer. When asked to do so, I use 2/3 pigskin and 6/7 cowhide.

I was asked to make a pancake style holster for a stainless steel luger. I am going to get some 8/9 leather but I was wondering what to get for the lining? Pig skin? what weight? Thanks

4/5 cowhide with chap suede inside makes a good holster, . . . especially if you put a small mouth reinforcement piece on it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I recently made myself a lined holster for my new Les Baer Stinger.

I cut 4 pieces of 4/5oz and glued them flesh to flesh, so I ended up with 2 pieces 8-10oz leather that had the grain on both sides. I then continued as normal.

I use 4/5 against 7/8 for grain out on both sides.

Whatever sizes you choose to use, be sure that you are NOT using chrome tanned leather. The CT could possibly damage the finish.

I use 4/5 against 7/8 for grain out on both sides.

Whatever sizes you choose to use, be sure that you are NOT using chrome tanned leather. The CT could possibly damage the finish.

Good too know!

FWIW from the old guy: I use various combinations of 4/5 and up to 6/7 oz veg tanned on almost all of my holsters. I do not use any form of splits or 'suede' type leathers as a liner. In my experience all holsters will produce holster wear, lined or unlined, however, the nap of 'suede' type stuff, and even the rougher flesh side of the veg tanned, offers a place for the residue from the firearms discharge to lodge and become more of an abrasive --- to say nothing of the fine dust, etc. that just shows up. I prefer the relative smoothness of the grain side of leather against the surface of my shooters. JMHO Mike