Sign in to follow this  
BEARDOG

G17 Vs G19 ?

OK trying to save a little $$$...I was going to ask this on one of the gun forums I am on, but you guys will understand how exact this needs to be and have a better answer.

What I am thinking of doing is taking a G17 dummy gun and cutting the end of the barrel down to a G19 length then file finish the edge? Would this work for making detail molded holsters?

I can't seem to find many pics comparing the real guns but what i did find makes it look like the distance between the take down latch and the rail maybe different??? and that would not make this mod. possible for use in molding holsters... But if the frames are exactly the same, seems this would be a cost effective way to get both size Glocks??? The blackhawk G17 is like 20ish $ so for $40ish You could have both and cover a lot of Glocks. if it would work to just cut one down.

Can someone that has them both check and let me know? Thanks!

If you cut the G17 dummy down to a shorter length, how will you make G17 holsters...? I could see making shorter length holsters from a longer barrel (provided everything else is the same), but not the other way around since there is no way to mold the muzzle of a longer holster if the dummy isn't filling up the space.

I was thinking I would buy two G17 Blackhawk dummys (They don't seem to have a G19?) and mod one to a G19...Or if I am feeling really thrifty maybe I can make the 1/2"+/- chunk I cut off replaceable by putting some alignment pins or bolts in the end and just stick it back on to make G17 holsters ???

I should preface this by saying I don't sell holsters yet, but do make them for friends and family so almost $50 for 1 Blue gun is a bit steep at this point in my holster making.

Edited by BEARDOG

I've made a few Glock 26/27 holsters using my own Glock 23. Just cut the pattern to fit the shorter of the two (G19) and use your Glock 17 when you do the detailing. You'll have a bit of the dummy gun sticking out of the end, but that wont hurt anything. The Glock 19 should fit perfect!

Actually, the glocks are pretty much the only gun where that would work. I've made holsters before that would accommodate both the 17&19 by splitting the difference in length -- the muzzle sticks out a centimeter or so with the 17 and is about a centimeter shy of filling the end of the 19.

tk

I read your question wrong. I'd only been up about 5 minutes at the time lol. Sorry for the misinformation.

There may be a slight difference in the taper angle from the trigger guard to the muzzle between the two, but not enough to matter to a holster.

Biggest issue will be with the magazines if you're making pouches. 17 mags need almost an extra inch.

Thanks guys, I guess I will give this mod a shot and see how it works out. I do own a real G26 and every siize 9mm Glock mag there is, so I am good with that.

I use a G-17 Blue Gun for ALL 9mm/40Cal holsters using Kydex. Works, just make the shorter length!