I'm new to leather working, and am looking to buy some leather to make holsters with. So far everything I've done was with scraps from Tandy. What am I looking for when picking out leather for holster making? I have a local Tandy store, and was considering picking up a single shoulder. However, I saw that Springfield leather has Hermann Oak sides for $5.49 sq/ft which I've read is better quality, and it seems that I can order a few sq/ft rather than buying the whole side which I don't need at this point. What do you guys think would be better? A single shoulder from Tandy, or a few sq/ft of the Hermann Oak side from Springfield? Keep in mind I'm looking at the cheaper C and D grade mix of Hermann Oak leather from Springfield. Thanks.

My advise would be to try different sources for leather til you find what you like working with best.

Meanwhile, you are fortunate to have a local Tandy store.

I believe that if you're thinking about a certain leather, you should just go ahead and try it for yourself and see what you think of it.

I'm new to leather working, and am looking to buy some leather to make holsters with. So far everything I've done was with scraps from Tandy. What am I looking for when picking out leather for holster making? I have a local Tandy store, and was considering picking up a single shoulder. However, I saw that Springfield leather has Hermann Oak sides for $5.49 sq/ft which I've read is better quality, and it seems that I can order a few sq/ft rather than buying the whole side which I don't need at this point. What do you guys think would be better? A single shoulder from Tandy, or a few sq/ft of the Hermann Oak side from Springfield? Keep in mind I'm looking at the cheaper C and D grade mix of Hermann Oak leather from Springfield. Thanks.

FWIW from the old grump; I only use shoulder leather for my holsters, and generally, that's about all I make. I don't buy from Tandy anymore, although I did for a number of years prior to their re-structuring. I use lighter leather than most, as I bond two layers together to make a single thickness of leather, smooth on each side, for most all of my work. A back has a lot of leather that could be used, but also a lot that I wouldn't use for holsters. JMHO. Mike

I like Tandy as a source. They have good sales on single and double shoulders. It is a great source to learn on. But Tandy leather is imported.

All of my for sale holsters are exclusively Herman Oak, A or B grade. I am trying some drum dyed Wicket and Craig. Both US tanneries.

Springfield Leather customer service is second to none. Great folks to deal with.

If you care about quality, buy the Herman Oak. If you want cheap stuff for patterns and the like, Tandy is a good choice.