Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy

Tool Upgrade

Hello All...

Just like most I started off buying tools and stamps from tandy and I know they are not the best... So think I am ready to upgrade some tools....I was wondering who to buy from??? Edgers, punches, stamps etc. I figured if I start ordering in stages so that way I won't have to take out a 2nd on my house to afford all that I want...lol

Thanks

Holly

Barry King Tools and are still reasonable.

http://www.barrykingtools.com/swivelknives.htm

Start with a good knife.

Hello All...

Just like most I started off buying tools and stamps from tandy and I know they are not the best... So think I am ready to upgrade some tools....I was wondering who to buy from??? Edgers, punches, stamps etc. I figured if I start ordering in stages so that way I won't have to take out a 2nd on my house to afford all that I want...lol

Thanks

Holly

Barry King Tools and are still reasonable.

http://www.barryking...wivelknives.htm

Start with a good knife.

I have a few of his other tools...but not his swivel knife. There are way to many options when it comes to the blades....Which on is the normal one?

I have a few of his other tools...but not his swivel knife. There are way to many options when it comes to the blades....Which on is the normal one?

The ones in Tandy's basic knives are about 3/8" wide straight blade and Thick The one on the Tandy Deluxe Knive (comes in the Deluxe kit) Are 3/8" much thinner. Tandy tends to send the straight blades rather than angled ones.

Hope that helps. Also if you have issues with your hands cramping go for a thicker barrel. But honestly, Call Barry or Brad, Very personable folks there. Takes a few days for them to ship but I am sure it's worth it. (Tell them Sylvia from Idaho sent you)

The ones in Tandy's basic knives are about 3/8" wide straight blade and Thick The one on the Tandy Deluxe Knive (comes in the Deluxe kit) Are 3/8" much thinner. Tandy tends to send the straight blades rather than angled ones.

Hope that helps. Also if you have issues with your hands cramping go for a thicker barrel. But honestly, Call Barry or Brad, Very personable folks there. Takes a few days for them to ship but I am sure it's worth it. (Tell them Sylvia from Idaho sent you)

Thank you... I will give Barry a call in the morning.

There really isn't a normal knife because it depends on what you are carving.

You can use a larger blade on long straight lines but when you get into detailed work you will want something small and angled.

I have a few knives but the one I always grab is the sk3 with a 3/16 angled blade but at times this blade is too large so I just ordered another sk3 with a 1/8 angled blade.

The barrel size is more personal.