BigChiefLeather

Sewing A 90 Degree Turn With Machine

Recently bought a Artisan 1797 and am having some issues sewing a corner.

When I get to the corner, when do i turn the material?

Do I turn it when the needle is in the leather, all the way out, somewhere in between?

Its probably something im just missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

On my Boss I bring the needle up about a 1/2 inch so its still in the leather but on the upstroke. Then lift the presser foot and turn the leather. I have also done it with the needle all the way up. Just never do it with the needle in the leather on the down stroke.

Michael

On my Boss I bring the needle up about a 1/2 inch so its still in the leather but on the upstroke. Then lift the presser foot and turn the leather. I have also done it with the needle all the way up. Just never do it with the needle in the leather on the down stroke.

Michael

Thanks. I will give that s try and see what happens.

It's a two step thing.

One, with the needle down lift your foot and adjust your stitch length, by raising your foot to actually where you want it. Then, on the next stitch, with the needle down, on the next stitch raise your foot then turn the material, Stitch once, twice, whaterver.

where you want it. Raise your foot and turn you material to you new line and sew on!

If not clear keep asking.!

Kevin

It's a two step thing.

One, with the needle down lift your foot and adjust your stitch length, by raising your foot to actually where you want it. Then, on the next stitch, with the needle down, on the next stitch raise your foot then turn the material, Stitch once, twice, whaterver.

where you want it. Raise your foot and turn you material to you new line and sew on!

If not clear keep asking.!

Kevin

Im not sure I follow you.

Dont suppose anyone has a how to guide with some photos? Getting frustrated.....straight stitches are great......but corners are killing me. ugh

Ive attached this photo to better explain the problem im having.

Im using 2 different colored threads so to show better. Blue is my top thread and khaki is my bobbin thread.

post-28328-084082100 1327458265_thumb.jp

My explanation was to first get your stitch to the desired position by raising your bar and either short/long stitching to get to the desired "Turn Point".

Next, with your needle still in the material raise you foot either by hand or better by your kneel bar. Turn you material 90 degrees, drop your foot and continue your stitch.

I would suggest that before you do the actual turn, lift the needle up slowly until you're certain that the bobbin thread has been actually picked up and the lockstitch is complete.

Tony.

Recently bought a Artisan 1797 and am having some issues sewing a corner.

When I get to the corner, when do i turn the material?

Do I turn it when the needle is in the leather, all the way out, somewhere in between?

Its probably something im just missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

On my Cobra class4 to make a turn; at the corner the needle has to go all the way down and back up 1/4" then I lift the foot only, make the turn drop the foot and sew. I think the needle coming back up that 1/4" is the important part but I have the electronic positioner on mine so I don't worry about it