Sign in to follow this  
Kaje

Tandy Starter Kit

My grandfather gave me the idea to get into leather work so I bought the Tandy deluxe starter kit and started practicing on the included projects. Eventually I want to try to make knife sheaths, wallets, book covers, etc. Constructive criticism would be great! I didn't know how I should finish the back of the leather, I don't think it said in any of the instructions so I just used the eco-flo super shene. The key fob has the character Finn tooled on it from the cartoon Adventure Time.

post-28500-052980200 1327761150_thumb.jp

post-28500-041817400 1327761159_thumb.jp

post-28500-020631600 1327761170_thumb.jp

Your off and running! Good work! You'll find it's a lot of fun. Peaceful. You time. Keep it up, keep learning more and keep adding to your tool collection. Before you know it, you'll enjoy great satisfaction at the things you make.

Bill

Great start - and you're even coming up with stuff for all the tools :).

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't want to do the "Kit" designs. I really like what you did on that first rounder. That's a great job at decorative cutting.

I found that the Tandy kit leather (at least in my case) can't really be properly finished very easily in regards to the back and edges. I don't remember the recommended procedure but I know I read it a few times on here.

Great start - and you're even coming up with stuff for all the tools :).

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't want to do the "Kit" designs. I really like what you did on that first rounder. That's a great job at decorative cutting.

I found that the Tandy kit leather (at least in my case) can't really be properly finished very easily in regards to the back and edges. I don't remember the recommended procedure but I know I read it a few times on here.

Yeah I hate just copying someone else's designs out of a book, I like to add my own interpretation. I'll have to pick up some stuff to finish the edges better I guess. Thanks for the positive feedback!

For edge finishing, I think your best bet is to use the 600 grit wet/dry on the kit leather (I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will work). I tried water and denim on that stuff and it just didn't work at all on the edges, but it worked great on my practice leather from Zack White. Also, check out Bob Park's tutorial on edge finishing. I just don't have all the stuff to do his method.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=5&do=view_album&album=164

Very nice! I like the rounder too!

In regards to the suggested kit patterns, my local Tandy manager said it best- "Those are for people who don't know what they want".

Although I do have to admit, I like one of the included knotwork designs that comes with one of their tablet kits. I've also got some books with tooling patterns and designs in them, but I use those for inspiration, not as strict dictates which can never be altered, changed, or played around with.

Grandpa's always know well....and you did well too!!

Nice start into leather hobby....till you know it you will be deeply in love with this hobby....I like your own desig and you do tool well....there is tons of different leather work to do, hats, belts....picture, boots, holsters and mask, wallets and backpacks....purses and mores....bow and arrow gear and leather floral arrangements too....a huge world where you can mix art, crafts and talent into an ocean of creativity!!!

Keep it going, keep it coming and ask a lot.....there are gazillions of nice people here on this forum!!

Good luck!!

Greetings

James