Sign in to follow this  
bigern26

Taurus Holster Design Question

I just got myself a cc handgun and need to build a holster. Its a PT145. Does this design look ok? should anything be changed? This is my second holster, the other was just a pouch style for a single six.

I am thinking I need to bring the belt loops closer to the handgun.

Thanks for any help

001-24.jpg

The basic design is OK. The sweat shield, as drawn, will interfere with getting a firing grip on the draw. You need to trim the back edge some. To judge where your belt slots will go you need to draw on an accurate stitchline. This would be one half of the weapon thickness + one thickness of leather from the profile of the weapon. Once that is established you can locate the belt slots. I find that 5/8 of an inch from the closest part of the stitchline works well for most handguns.

Updated pic, 5/8" stitch line and belt loops are 5/8" from stitch line.

and redrawn sweat guard. If this is good would I cut bot sides out to match this design, stitch then form?

Thanks again

002-24.jpg

hope you don't mind, I just made a couple highlights in red with paintbrush to the areas I would address first....

1. body guard needs to narrower so you can get a full grip on the gun without catching the webbing on your hand.... pretty crucial for a CC holster so if you ever have to draw the weapon you have the absolute best grip possible immediately....

2. the area around the trigger guard needs to be revised to also allow you to that same full unimpeded grip....

3. I would add a dowel rod or pencil to the top of the slide to form a sight channel.... as you have it drawn I would have some concern to the front sight snagging during a draw....

I think once you get those areas squared away and clean up the body lines a bit you'll be good to go....

002-24.jpg

Edited by joshk

Josh makes some good points although with that pistol the front sight is not very high and the pancake design will accomodate it without molding in a separate sight channel. I would also bring the ends of the wings in a bit. I find that 3/8 to no more than 1/2in between the perifery and the outer edge of the belt slot is more than enough.

Thanks guys!! I have made changes and I have cut out and started the sheath.

Thanks for the help

Be sure to show us how it turns out.

hope you like your Taurus pt145 I've had one for 4-5 years and like it for the boat and truck console, with a couple of spare mags,

but still carry a hk c45 on the body always

Here is the finished product. Now that its done I think I need to bring the belt loops down a bit so it sits a little higher. not bad but really need to get some new shirts.

2012-01-29_14-32-22_470.jpg