Happy Hooligan

The Trouble With Glove Snaps

So I'm using Glove Snaps for the first time. I've used the line 24 size fine... but I need something smaller and got some of these glove snaps 10mm from tandy...

The bottom female one seems to fit fine and holds but the top male end doesn't stay no matter how hard you hit it... Is there a trick to this? Is there a better thing out there than the tandy about that size?

I really want to use this size but they're not working....

So I'm using Glove Snaps for the first time. I've used the line 24 size fine... but I need something smaller and got some of these glove snaps 10mm from tandy...

The bottom female one seems to fit fine and holds but the top male end doesn't stay no matter how hard you hit it... Is there a trick to this? Is there a better thing out there than the tandy about that size?

I really want to use this size but they're not working....

Hmmmmmm, what you're describing sounds backwards from problems I've run into. That is the female part, the larger hollow piece that a smooth cap goes on is usually the one that gives problems. What is supposed to happen is the inside piece needs to protrude above the top surface (outside,) of the leather, enough so that when you hammer the cap on the bottom piece mushrooms at the same time the edges of the cap are compressed inward gripping below the mushroomed part. What happens a lot of time is that the leather is too thick and the bottom piece is flush instead of protruding a little about the surface.

I would call this the female part of the snap.

The other side has a smaller hollow piece that comes through from the outside/back of the leather piece. A small button/knob fits over this piece and when you hit the setting tool, once again the longer piece mushrooms inside the little button securing it. Again the problem may be that the leather you're using is a little too thick for the male piece to extend through far enough to get a solid connection inside the knob/button.

In either case you may have to skive or thin the area around the snap pieces to allow enough of the parts to protude to allow a good connection. A sharp french edger works pretty well to do this.

If I've totally missed the point here, disregard all this blabbing!

Good luck,

Bill

I think my leather is just on the edge of being too thick. I think I might have been able to fix it for now, by tapping the end of the post for the male piece so it's a a little fatter than it was and then when I pound the male piece over it it seems to hold.

Is there another snap option that might work better? I like the line 24 style of snap because they're both seated with the inside post punched down around it.

are these Sigma (sp?) snaps like that?

I want something smaller than the 24 as it's just too big for what I'm making...

I think my leather is just on the edge of being too thick. I think I might have been able to fix it for now, by tapping the end of the post for the male piece so it's a a little fatter than it was and then when I pound the male piece over it it seems to hold.

Is there another snap option that might work better? I like the line 24 style of snap because they're both seated with the inside post punched down around it.

are these Sigma (sp?) snaps like that?

I want something smaller than the 24 as it's just too big for what I'm making...

Why not use a french edger or something similar and counter sink it a little bit on the flesh side of the leather?