Bill Bowman

Looking For A Post Bed Machine

I need some advice on a post machine, will it do the job of replacing zippers on english riding boots?

Thanks,

Bill

830-928-1203

No. You will need a shoe patcher to do that. Look for a long arm Singer, Adler, Cowboy, Techsew brand machine with an 18 inch arm and preferably, the large bobbin option. They are usually mounted on a cast iron treadle base, but some hare mounted onto power stands.

Patchers have top feed only, via a rotating presser foot assembly. It pulls the work in whatever direction you point the foot. This allows you to sew up the snout to replace a long zipper on a boot. There are teeth on the bottom of the foot.

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397) has an entire rack full of patchers, plus at least two long arm models set up on the floor.

Here is what a long arm patcher looks like...

post-11118-014478800 1328026255_thumb.jp

Edited by Wizcrafts

I work on lots of english riding boots. I have a claes patcher long arm with a small bobbin. The reason i use the small bobbin is that the end is smaller and allos to go in tighter area. with the smaller bobbin i can still sew a pair and a half of tall boot. (zippers) I started out with a singer and then an adler (always had problems and when im working on a 1,000dollar pair of boots it needs to be perfect. And finally spent the big bucks on a claes. Will never go out of timing. Has paid for itself no problem.

Edited by buckaroogal