Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Backing

Do I back my leather with cardboard for larger projects an packing tape for belts? Should I case, seal and then glue it down. Glue down, then case and seal. Also, how do I do packing tape for belts, pictures work.

Thanks for the help

JON

I have no idea for belts specifically, but I've been casing overnight and then using rubber cement to glue my piece down to some thin cardboard like soda or cereal boxes.

I have used cardboard, packing tape and shelf paper. I have even used the rubber glue on a piece of plexi-glass method. They all work for me it just depends on the project, time and process. I mentioned that I use sticky shelf paper (found at wal mart, target, home depot, Wal-greens stores), I have a couple of rolls on hand. It cost about $2 for a roll of 24 feet by 18 inches. It works well for general use. The packing tape, I use for belts because I can use one continuous strip and not pieces.

For me, if I use packing tape, I use name brand tape that is nice and sticky. I will apply a strip to the back side of the belt from one end to another. After I complete this, I will take my glass or wooden burnisher and run it across the top of the tape to make sure that it sticks well to the flesh side of the leather. I trim or fold any excess tape.

The whole purpose for using what has been mentioned or named on your leather pieces is to prevent the leather from stretching out of shape and possibly losing the tooling you applied. One word of caution, remove the tape or other sticky instrument off the leather NOT the leather off the sticky instrument! If you do the latter, it may create wrinkles in your leather from removing it.

Good luck!

One word of caution, remove the tape or other sticky instrument off the leather NOT the leather off the sticky instrument! If you do the latter, it may create wrinkles in your leather from removing it.

Good luck!

Hmmm, never thought of that. Makes perfect sense now that you mention it though.

One word of caution, remove the tape or other sticky instrument off the leather NOT the leather off the sticky instrument! If you do the latter, it may create wrinkles in your leather from removing it.

Good luck!

Unless you WANT wrinkles. I kind of like the texture myself.

Do I back my leather with cardboard for larger projects an packing tape for belts? Should I case, seal and then glue it down. Glue down, then case and seal. Also, how do I do packing tape for belts, pictures work.

Thanks for the help

JON

Well Dante's hell, I didn't know to do this. My leather has to be almost arid to keep it from stretching, LOLOL

thanks folks,

I'm always in need of direction and now have a clearer path.

kings x, can you describe the packaging tape, clear, brown, vinyl, duct, paper, thick, thin?

Thanks

kings x, can you describe the packaging tape, clear, brown, vinyl, duct, paper, thick, thin?

Thanks

Thinking about it, I'd say the clear Duct brand packing tape available at Chinamart would probably do just fine.

Thinking about it, I'd say the clear Duct brand packing tape available at Chinamart would probably do just fine.

That took me a second to get rofl.gif

"Chinamart" :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: LMAO

Thanks

I use the clear packing tape. I would not personally use duct tape because it has threads in it for strength, but it also gives bit. I am sure that the brown packaging tape would work, but I have always found it to be more expensive than the clear stuff.

I hope this helps!

post-6330-095121100 1328157266_thumb.jpg

I use the clear packing tape. I would not personally use duct tape because it has threads in it for strength, but it also gives bit. I am sure that the brown packaging tape would work, but I have always found it to be more expensive than the clear stuff.

I recently run into a trouble with such tape - being taken off there were still some sticky glue residue on the flesh side. It wouldn't be a problem if lining, but I had strong intention to keep flesh natural on that item and completely failed :( It took me about 1 hour to clear flesh with acetone but anyway some glue still there and later got a lot of dirt onto.... :(

How you guys getting over such problem ?

Edited by Suicide

I've had the same problem before but it was because I used a non-brand tape. The thin stuff seems to just lose it when you remove it. You can always sand it.

Duck brand makes lots of tape - not just cloth duct tape. This is the only tape I haven't had issues with from THAT store. That's just in terms of general use though since I haven't backed a piece of leather with it yet.

http://duckbrand.com/Products/packaging-tapes/hd-clear-packaging-tape.aspx

You can always practice on a piece of scrap! It would be worth it doing it on the front end. Better than find out later.

Good luck

3M packing tape will not leave residue, not so with other brands. I have found out the hard way.

Terry

3M packing tape will not leave residue, not so with other brands. I have found out the hard way.

Well... then I'm baffled a bit because I have used exactly 3M and had such problems.

post-26007-049372100 1328256466_thumb.jp

post-26007-062905400 1328256475_thumb.jp

how do you get the tape to stick to cased leather? Do you put it on before you case?

If using rubber cement, how do you get it off the leather when removing the backing piece?