Sign in to follow this  
skiinzzz

Acid Wash Hair On Cowhide

Good day folks! Im in the process of trying to replicate an acid wash hair on hide. I'm curious if anyone knows how to do it? I have experimented with sulfuric acid, diluted hydrochloric acid and lye (not all at the same time, lol.) I have some screen printing experience and hopefully plan to add some foil work as well. I have invested some time in monkeying around but would appreciate any info to help me get closer to my goal. How the heck are these made!!!

http://www.theleathercollection.us/#/zebulon/4543598036

Thank you all... =LJ=

Good day folks! Im in the process of trying to replicate an acid wash hair on hide. I'm curious if anyone knows how to do it? I have experimented with sulfuric acid, diluted hydrochloric acid and lye (not all at the same time, lol.) I have some screen printing experience and hopefully plan to add some foil work as well. I have invested some time in monkeying around but would appreciate any info to help me get closer to my goal. How the heck are these made!!!

http://www.theleathe...ulon/4543598036

Thank you all... =LJ=

I have read some tutorials on how to tan hair on and what happens if you don't get it just right. (The hair falls out)

I suspect that is what happened to these and they just put more acid in the bath to make the hair that was staying stay for good. This is an example in my opinion of Marketing a mistake as a desired item.

If I can find it again, I'll pm you the tanning tutorial link so you can read through it.

If

Awesome, I would appreciate it. It seems that acid would be the best way to go, I mean, they are called "acid washed". I used 98% concentrated sulfuric acid (which was recommended by a chemicals company rather than hydrochloric acid) and it really didn't do much. I had better luck with lye...problem is its in a powder form and I would like a gel like consistency for better design control. Any others with some input! =LJ=

Did you consider buying a commercial tan?

Did you consider buying a commercial tan?

The hides are already tanned. I just purchased some hair on hides through a distributor and playing mad scientist. I asked around but tanneries keep those things guarded I guess. I always loved these acid washed hides, but one can go broke paying $300-$600 a hide.

Dehairing can be done using calcium hydroxide but I don't know if it works on a tanned hide.