hobageeba

Compound Walking Foot Vs Needle Feed Walking Foot (Singer 78-1)

Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 78-1 and have done some extensive googling about the machine. There's a small handful of posts on here about it (and the 78-3) and the reviews seem positive, but my main concern is the lack of feed dogs. To be honest, I've been hand stitching and have very limited machine experience, but the small amount of negative feedback I've seen/gotten about the machine, is that it's not a true compound walking foot. It seems like this is also what people tend to like about it—no marks from the feed dogs, easier to maneuver, etc—but I just wanted to see if I could get any more feedback on the lack of feed dogs and the machine in general.

Oh, and I'll be doing light to medium leather work on it. Probably sewing mostly 2 (possibly 3 at times) layers of 4-5 oz leather—veg tan, eng bridle, chrome tanned—for bags, wallets, cases, etc. No heavy holster or saddle work.

I'll be going to check it out as early as tomorrow (2/6) so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

hi hobageeba;

The feed is close to that used by the Boss stitcher.

I seen one one you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLHO9820zg it looks to be a good choice, but take some leather with you and ask if you can try it with the material that you need to sew (take plenty with you) give it a good run.

Also look at the back side to make sure the stitches look good on both sides (pick it apart so to say) look for anything that might not be right and ask questions about every thing, you don't want to pay now and pay later to fix it.

I bought 135k103 once that i did not run but was told it would not work, took it home and spent 5hours cleaning it up, checking it over, new oil----walla, it sews great (this machine was very dirty)

So the best advice I can give you is to look very closely at it.

good luck!!!!!

Thanks a lot Tom. I will definitely bring some different leathers I tend to sew with a machine. I didn't realize the Tippmann Boss doesn't utilize feed dogs on the underside...makes me feel a little better about this machine.

hi hobageeba;

The feed is close to that used by the Boss stitcher.

I seen one one you tube http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZZLHO9820zg it looks to be a good choice, but take some leather with you and ask if you can try it with the material that you need to sew (take plenty with you) give it a good run.

Also look at the back side to make sure the stitches look good on both sides (pick it apart so to say) look for anything that might not be right and ask questions about every thing, you don't want to pay now and pay later to fix it.

I bought 135k103 once that i did not run but was told it would not work, took it home and spent 5hours cleaning it up, checking it over, new oil----walla, it sews great (this machine was very dirty)

So the best advice I can give you is to look very closely at it.

good luck!!!!!