I was wondering what type of airbrush, brand or whatever anyone would recommend for just airbrushing the entirety of a piece. Like dying a whole belt black. And is there any certain technique to doing this? Does the dye need to be thinned out at all? I am just having too much trouble with getting a good even coat with anything but black. I use the dobbers in the proper method but it still seems to always be uneven. HELP!

Papa can you spray a test pattern and post a picture on here? I may be able to assist if I can see how you brush is spraying . It may be possable that you may need a touch up gun to lay down the propper amount of materals to give you a consistant color instead of a air brush.

I just recently started using airbrushes.

For just laying down dye on a piece, I use a cheap ($30) badger single-action external mix brush. I use the dye straight up, no mixing.

Any airbrush would do but if you are just going to dye the whole thing in a single colour, then a single action airbrush is easier to maintain and clean. If you want to do details or would like to expand your airbrush skill then a double action will keep you going for longer. I use a double action aztek myself. You can also consider an airgun used by car resprayer if you need larger coverage.

Dye do not need to be diluted. If you use acrylic then dilute it to the consistency of milk. You will need to consider air supply too.

Have you tried wetting the leather with water before dyeing? That helps to even out the dye.

singteck

Edited by singteck

I'm still using my cheapo Harbor Freight airbrush and compressor. Came with a fine tip and I can still spray Resolene undiluted. There aer better airbrushes, but, that's all I have for now.

Any airbrush would do but if you are just going to dye the whole thing in a single colour, then a single action airbrush is easier to maintain and clean. If you want to do details or would like to expand your airbrush skill then a double action will keep you going for longer. I use a double action aztek myself. You can also consider an airgun used by car resprayer if you need larger coverage.

Dye do not need to be diluted. If you use acrylic then dilute it to the consistency of milk. You will need to consider air supply too.

Have you tried wetting the leather with water before dyeing? That helps to even out the dye.

singteck

Hi Singteck, how wet has the leather to be? I tried to wet the leather with my last project but the result is not very good. Thanks, Rolf

Hi Singteck, how wet has the leather to be? I tried to wet the leather with my last project but the result is not very good. Thanks, Rolf

I just place the leather under running water and wet all the surface. Once removed from water, the whole surface should soak up all the water. If there is water on the surface then it's too wet, otherwise it's fine.

You will need to dye the leather at least 2-3 times to get an even colour.

singteck

stool__3_007.jpgI finished this stool by useing a Previal sprayer. Tandy has them. saddle tan oil dye ,then the edges were sprayed with chocolate oil dye.

post-1906-1221843478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley