Sign in to follow this  
NoName

The Kydex Experiment

First attempt.... Refinements pending.

post-28005-027578700 1328937899_thumb.jp

post-28005-073636100 1328937905_thumb.jp

post-28005-080288700 1328937932_thumb.jp

Your first attempt looks great. I like the shape of the leather backing, also the coloring.

Did you have to put a sight channel in the kydex, or does it even need one?

Have you found anything you would change?

A friend and I are working on a hybrid iwb holster

Keep up the great work

Check to be sure that the kydex isn't rubbing or otherwise activating the laser switch? It's a little hard to see if you have already allowed for that. If it does, tape a small spacer over it and re-mold, making a "button channel" along the side.

I like the looks of that IWB. Where did you get those belt clips?

Scott

Thank you for the kind words.

I thought about a sight channel but I gambled on the gun having a more positive engagement in the holster without it.....It worked out well. It snaps in and out very crisply. I would like to find a better way to put a "bead" border around the leather backer. I used an adj. creaser then a specially shaped Osborne creaser to deapen it, but I still wasn't satisfied. I also cut it lightly with a swivel knife so that the dye would be less inclined to bleed through the crease onto the border. It was to labor intensive. Any suggestions here are appreciated. I also skived the back side of the leather slightly to round it over and make it comfortable to wear. I did not want any sharp or rough edges digging into the wearer. I may try to do some decorative work to the exposed leather on future models but I dont want it to get to gaudy, and I don't want to put so much time into one of these that you are afraid to use it and scratch it up.

There is no issue with the laser switch. It takes very firm pressure to activate it.

I found those belt clips on TheClip.com. I ordered a variety of clips from them as well as the clips from CrossBreed holsters. I liked these the best. I am also experimenting with using the Tech Lock lock-on belt clips from Blade Tech as well as the paddle attachments from ReactGear.com for my outside the waistband holsters and mag pouches.

Only modification so far is to relieve the leather for the pistols operating lever(s).

This was done by repeatedly gouging the flesh side of the leather with a nonadjustable stitch groover to the desired depth, then removing the material between the gouges with a french skiver, and finally , wet forming the grain side down into the void with a bone folder and modeling spoons.

Also found a one pass method of making the border. I had to go a little "Bob Douglas" on an old Tandy Edge Cutter. That is to say that it is somewhat reshaped and fully polished, but it now works the way it was meant to work. :)

post-28005-077696500 1330027075_thumb.jp

post-28005-081667200 1330027094_thumb.jp

Edited by NoName