Sign in to follow this  
tractorboy

Blue Gun Blues

Hey All.... Anyone got any "tricks" to keep the blue coming off my new blue guns onto my leather? Thank you for your help.

Hey All.... Anyone got any "tricks" to keep the blue coming off my new blue guns onto my leather? Thank you for your help.

I'm surprised nobody has answered you yet. That's normal for the finish to come off in your holster like that. I've heard you can remove the finish off of the blue gun itself with denatured alcohol. You can also order your blue guns without the finish on them to save that step in the future.

Colt Hammerless

At first read I thought you were saying that a blued steel gun was staining dampened leather black. Ha ha

"Colt Hammerless" has a good idea. Remove as much of the finish as possible. Goof-off would probably work very well without damaging the gun itself. Test it in a small area first.

Edited by NoName

Colt Hammerless is right - you can pour a little denatured alcohol in a bowl/dish/pan/pot, etc., then (while wearing gloves, respirator and eye protection), scrub the finish with a tooth brush. It will come off quite easily.

When you order your next dummy, tell them you'll be using it for holsters and to please leave off the final finish coat. I've heard you can also request a different color resin - I think the other option is a dark gray/black. Personally, I stick with the blue version so people driving by don't see a bunch of "guns" hanging on my wall in my garage.

I order all my guns without the top coat unless the customer requests it, and as far as I know everyone has got it without the top coat unless they slipped in a few here or there. You can order guns blue, black, or period gun painting + $20, You can also order them in the weighted version which is weighted to the actual weight of the real gun + $20 more on my site. My new site has the drop down boxes that will ask you what you want www.rmbcl.com . They are correct about how to get the top coat off if you already have some with the coating. Hope that helps.

Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I have not gotten back yet, have not been on the forums. Will try the denatured route and order any new ones with the finish off. Thanks again!

More betterer still!! Thanks, Mark