HARVEY

Dremel Recommendations

Looking for input here on which dremel models to consider or avoid. This is for slicking edges. Cord or cordless, is one superior to the other? Info on current models only please.

Likewise, any online discount sites that off the top of your head you know of that sells them? Thanks!

I bought the actual Dremel 400XPR in a kit at Lowes.

Price was a little north of $100, . . . came with a bunch of useful tools, . . . most importantly the flexible shaft, . . . and variable speed.

The unit alone was about $20 less, . . . didn't make sense to buy just it, . . . got a carrying case too.

I wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it, . . . one of my best tools.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have a few dremels at home and the one I never pick up is a cordless version...The batteries dies to soon and is not worth my time. Any of the others will do fine for edges, find one that feels good in your hand.

Harbor freight sells a motor with foot control and flex shaft with handpiece that is much more convenient to use than a dremel tool. The regular cost is around $50 or about $40 when on sale or with a cupon. I know wht everyone says about HF but some of their tools are really good and this is one of them. The small jacobs chuck on the handpiece also does not limit you to shaft size as does the dremel.

http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

Edited by Denster

Thanks, Everyone, for the responses. All appreciated. I'll look into the two models suggested. I know Harbor Freight has an iffy reputation. But based on the one item I've bought from them -- a benchtop drill press -- they're batting 1000% so far.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Everyone, for the responses. All appreciated. I'll look into the two models suggested. I know Harbor Freight has an iffy reputation. But based on the one item I've bought from them -- a benchtop drill press -- they're batting 1000% so far.

Thanks again.

When you purchase from them you get a 90day warranty just keep the sales receipt. They will offer to sell you a longer warranty but in my experience if it works for 90 days it will continue to work.

When you purchase from them you get a 90day warranty just keep the sales receipt. They will offer to sell you a longer warranty but in my experience if it works for 90 days it will continue to work.

Dremels are great tools. I used one of the old heavy-duty models so much that I actually wore out the bearings on it. But a Foredom flexible shaft tool is a far better choice for leatherwork. You get far better control over the tool, foot-pad control over speed, and the ability to use mounted points, burnishers and cutters with shanks all the way up to 1/4 inch.

They are more expensive, but you can often find one used on Craig's list for about the price of a dremel. I got mine at a yard sale for $25.

tk

Dremels are great tools. I used one of the old heavy-duty models so much that I actually wore out the bearings on it. But a Foredom flexible shaft tool is a far better choice for leatherwork. You get far better control over the tool, foot-pad control over speed, and the ability to use mounted points, burnishers and cutters with shanks all the way up to 1/4 inch.

They are more expensive, but you can often find one used on Craig's list for about the price of a dremel. I got mine at a yard sale for $25.

tk

I agree 100% with Malabar on the foredom tools. They are top of the line if you can find one reasonable get it. $25 at a yard sale I'm really jealous.:notworthy:

Hi Harvey,

I have burned up my share of Dremel Tools and wore out a Foredom (which will be rebuilt) finishing knives. I now have (I am a hard person to buy for so I end up with things like this) a NSK Emax EVO with a 4:1 reduction drive. I imagine it cost every bit of a grand, but I guess she asked them for something I couldn't burn out. Great tool, way overkill.

Art

Looking for input here on which dremel models to consider or avoid. This is for slicking edges. Cord or cordless, is one superior to the other? Info on current models only please.

Likewise, any online discount sites that off the top of your head you know of that sells them? Thanks!

I bought the actual Dremel 400XPR in a kit at Lowes.

Dwight

Glad to hear that one's working out for you, since that's the one that's been on my list to buy for a while. I bought one of the cordless ones a long time ago because I had to do all my work outside at one point. 2 batteries and I can burn through both of them in about 2 minutes. I would NEVER recommend a cordless dremel to anybody.

I use a Dremel #300 every day. That coupled with a Dremel drill press stand and burnishers from Spinner (Leatherburnishers.com) and t has become one of the most important tools I use. Here's a picture (man my desk is a mess!)

SAM_2167.jpg

I use a Dremel #300 every day. That coupled with a Dremel drill press stand and burnishers from Spinner (Leatherburnishers.com) and t has become one of the most important tools I use. Here's a picture (man my desk is a mess!)

Wow, look at all of the bird slings! Mind if I pick your noodle at some point? I'm working on making one for my boss for his birthday in my spare (HA!) time.

Wow, look at all of the bird slings! Mind if I pick your noodle at some point? I'm working on making one for my boss for his birthday in my spare (HA!) time.

:specool: