DoubleC

Can You Help Me With Some Tools?

Here's that book the one poster recommended.

Dictionary of Leather-Working Tools, C.1700-1950: And the Tools of Allied Trades

http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/1879335727

thanks Syl. Cheryl

Grapefruit...after or before the coffee...? Looks like some old green handle kitchen tools I've seen.

Grapefruit...after or before the coffee...? Looks like some old green handle kitchen tools I've seen.

Oh, ok, I really didn't know. Thanks, Cheryl

NO I can't make out the name. It is Probably the makers company name. The tool is called a glazing Iron. It is used to put a finishing wax on just built boots on the soles between the ball and heel, also on the exposed heel edges.You can also refinish used boots. You don't use it on upper leathers. Frank

Hey Boot? Can you tell what this says? Look a little different now doesn't it. Cheryl

NO I can't make out the name. It is Probably the makers company name. The tool is called a glazing Iron. It is used to put a finishing wax on just built boots on the soles between the ball and heel, also on the exposed heel edges.You can also refinish used boots. You don't use it on upper leathers. Frank

I've owned two pair of boots in my life (cowboy I mean not winter) and both were Justin's. I got a pair last year from eBay for 20 some dollars that didn't have a mark on them. I am keeping that, seriously just for those boots. I guess I'm weird. Some people wouldn't care about a used pair of boots no matter how good the deal was. I appreciate nice things and I can't remember the last time I bought something new that went on my body, well except underthings of course. I got a saddle Frank from a woman for $50.00 she had thrown in the corner of her feed room. it was all dusty, etc. so I put it on a trashcan outside because it was a windy day. It ended up being one of the King show series, black suede seat, natural every where else. Again, stiff from no one ever sitting on it. Once I realized what it was under all the dust I tried to give her more but she wouldn't take it. It is not their top of the line but it was basically new needing a cleaning. the 15 or 30 piece silver plate pieces, whatever it is they use. My boots that I bought later ended up being black and tan :-) but that's not why I bought them. They were a beautiful piece of work and Justin's are comfortable. So I cleaned up that tool just so I can keep wax on those boots. Thanks so much, Cheryl

Oh, Pic is of my horse right after i cleaned that saddle all up :-)

I got these a while back and there's three I haven't go the slightest clue about. Number 1, and 3.....this has a wicked looking kinda serrated edge but only on one side, not serrated but spaces in the edge. (Has anyone noticed round fat wooden things don't wanna stay put on a scanner, LOL) and the knife thingy I put 12 on. and the Myers wheely thing is too loose to use. I thought one of those tiny pins had come out but there's not a hole for a pin on the other side. That's the tool the key goes to. I adore the one awl with the different handle, I think I could actually use it to sew with and not stab myself. The hole punch was suppose to be for stitching, but the holes are way too big I think to use to sew. Maybe lacing. Anyway, any ideas on what they are, how to clean and any idea on fixing the Myers thing would be greatly appreciated. Cheryl

Cheryl; The large fid is used to lace together the ends of industrial flat belting to run line shaft equipment in old factories. They use what is called pigging, a waxy pigskin lace. The lace is run through the same holes twice and must be pushed aside for the next pass. Since the lace is thick and wide, and belting won't stretch so you need a really stout fid. Gump.

Oh, thanks Gump. I use it for all my lacing.....but it's nice to know what it's for. Cheryl

God bless you and recommending WD 40 when I worked with guns I made a fortune off of folks who used that on their guns .When left for awhile it turns to varnish coating every thing and turns the insides of a fire arm to tar . Its supposed to displace water and seal which is good for electrical stuff. The WD stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT . Lock smiths love this stuff it never stops making them money as folks use it and gum up there locks . Sadly the public has been convinced this is the answer to all metal problems . At any good gun store and some auto places Pep Boys etc is a lubricant called "TRI FLOW" best stuff ever for all things metal its claim to fame is its silicone based and lubes and protects like you cant believe .

I think the forked thing is a tack puller. #12 is a cobblers blade though I've seen regular leather workers use them too as trim knives.

Get out some WD40 and saturate the metal... allow to soak, then scrub with some fine steel wool. Or you could try an old gardener's trick. motor oil in a bucket of sand... plunge tools in and out for several minutes until the rust is gone.

God bless you and recommending WD 40 when I worked with guns I made a fortune off of folks who used that on their guns .When left for awhile it turns to varnish coating every thing and turns the insides of a fire arm to tar . Its supposed to displace water and seal which is good for electrical stuff. The WD stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT . Lock smiths love this stuff it never stops making them money as folks use it and gum up there locks . Sadly the public has been convinced this is the answer to all metal problems . At any good gun store and some auto places Pep Boys etc is a lubricant called "TRI FLOW" best stuff ever for all things metal its claim to fame is its silicone based and lubes and protects like you cant believe .

Why thank you for the blessings. And Tip... I see I neglected to say WD40 then wipe off and oil.... I actually use WD40 for fishing... but that's another story.

I prefer liquid wrench.... but finding it can be a bear. (or good old kerosene)