rambojz

Central Fl Usa Greetings!

Hello all!

Joined the forums earlier this week. I've been interested in this craft for many years but have been lazy about actually starting. I decided to finally get my feet wet and get started! After much reading I was becoming a bit overwhelmed on how to actually start. Of course I had the same questions that most have, Tools? Leather types? What to try first?

I'm a sheet metal worker by trade. With that I know quality of tools can make a big difference, but I wont throw big bucks at something a may set down in a month, though I hope to keep going with it. I figure I will just buy the tools i need for what I'm doing

I want to start carving and stamping on scrap. Once i get the hang of that maybe turn some of those into coasters and such. After making thousands of those move on to wallets and belts. Then after ten thousand belts and wallets maybe move on to hand bags and such. Then seventy years from now starting my hand at leather armor for renaissance fairs! You get the idea of progression. I know that i need to crawl and crawl a lot, before i walk and walk a lot.

So far I have had much info on these forums to read and much more still to! Glad to be on these forums and look forward conversing and growing in this skill! All recommendations and criticism are welcome and highly encouraged!

Regards,

Jesse

Jesse, Welcome to LW.:grouphug5vj5: You must have plenty of time on your hands or plan to be fast with all the practicing your going be doing.:deadsubject: With that said, Tandys (if you have one close by) would be the first stop for entry level tools. They have a starter set that has everything you need to get started rather cheaply. They also have "rounders" for practicing on and scrap by the pound. I hope this helps you.

Hey Jesse!

Another Florida boy is MORE THAN WELCOME HERE! I am from Plant City/Dover near Brandon/Tampa....anyway, there are a lot of awesome folks here and more than willing to give advise.

And being in Florida you have a lot of resources for the tools you need to get started!

Once you have down a few basic things you will go from crawling to running in no time, it just takes someone to show you and watch all the vids you can from youtube they will help a lot!

Reach out anytime neighbor!

Chancey

Hello all!

Joined the forums earlier this week. I've been interested in this craft for many years but have been lazy about actually starting. I decided to finally get my feet wet and get started! After much reading I was becoming a bit overwhelmed on how to actually start. Of course I had the same questions that most have, Tools? Leather types? What to try first?

I'm a sheet metal worker by trade. With that I know quality of tools can make a big difference, but I wont throw big bucks at something a may set down in a month, though I hope to keep going with it. I figure I will just buy the tools i need for what I'm doing

I want to start carving and stamping on scrap. Once i get the hang of that maybe turn some of those into coasters and such. After making thousands of those move on to wallets and belts. Then after ten thousand belts and wallets maybe move on to hand bags and such. Then seventy years from now starting my hand at leather armor for renaissance fairs! You get the idea of progression. I know that i need to crawl and crawl a lot, before i walk and walk a lot.

So far I have had much info on these forums to read and much more still to! Glad to be on these forums and look forward conversing and growing in this skill! All recommendations and criticism are welcome and highly encouraged!

Regards,

Jesse

rofl.gif Welcome Jesse from a former Central Fla dweller. Now you are never to listen to me ever, OK? Because I sprint all over until I get really, really tired, then I crawl. Right now within my sight are 5 projects in some jumbled state of completion. So ask me anytime how not to do it!!! Cheryl

Welcome to the forum!

Jesse

I live in Grant-Valkaria south Brevard county FL. I get over to the Tandy store in Orlando on occasion. Let me know if I can help.

Joe

I am from Plant City/Dover near Brandon/Tampa....

chancey: I recently left Plant City after living there for 13+ years. Lived on the west side of town, about a mile from the Strawberry Festival grounds. Had my shop on Turkey Creek Rd, just south of the airport and meat packing plant.

Jesse: welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and talent here and in central FL.

chancey: I recently left Plant City after living there for 13+ years. Lived on the west side of town, about a mile from the Strawberry Festival grounds. Had my shop on Turkey Creek Rd, just south of the airport and meat packing plant.

Jesse: welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and talent here and in central FL.

NICE!

My dad went to Turkey Creek High School, I went to Brandon, but hey we should chat! PM me!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome here also.

From a Sulfur Springs / Lutz member. We all share the same goal.

Compressing Leather.

Tony at Tandy in Tampa is a good guy. Check out for sales-log on to there site.

Joe