Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Barry Hicks

Medieval Leather Case For Book

Well this is a Medieval leather case for a book. I made this for myself and for a competition... (didn't win but I learned a lot and got great feedback!). It's made using medieval techniques and materials that were used then. The only thing that is not "period" is the gold leaf on the front, I used composite leaf to show the difference between real gold leaf and fake (the back is real gold leaf). The paints and gesso are also period as well. As well as using waxed linen thread and hide glue for construction of the case. If you would like to learn more I have a document that goes with it (part of the competition was to show your research and experiences with the making of the item). Anyhoo, it was a lot of fun making it and I learned a lot. Can't wait to do more stuff like this in future. smile.gif

post-21126-031173200 1330223452_thumb.jp

post-21126-019618200 1330223453_thumb.jp

post-21126-026788000 1330223454_thumb.jp

post-21126-094079500 1330223454_thumb.jp

Well this is a Medieval leather case for a book. I made this for myself and for a competition... (didn't win but I learned a lot and got great feedback!). It's made using medieval techniques and materials that were used then. The only thing that is not "period" is the gold leaf on the front, I used composite leaf to show the difference between real gold leaf and fake (the back is real gold leaf). The paints and gesso are also period as well. As well as using waxed linen thread and hide glue for construction of the case. If you would like to learn more I have a document that goes with it (part of the competition was to show your research and experiences with the making of the item). Anyhoo, it was a lot of fun making it and I learned a lot. Can't wait to do more stuff like this in future. smile.gif

That is just cool, I don't know what else to say. Cheryl

Looks good Mrs B, I don't care for instant coffee but the leather work is nice.

If you would like to learn more I have a document that goes with it

Where would one go to see this?

That is really neat, what a fascinating item. I had no idea such book cases existed. I have questions?

What is the figure (yourself I presume?) holding in its right hand?

Also, are the channels on the side meant to have a cord passed through to hold and carry it (rather like a Japanese inro)? What kind of cord would you use? I'm guessing probably not leather, otherwise you would have had it on the item for the judging, I guess?

The following is a document that I created that has more information along with pictures of ones that existed during the Medieval time period.

WinterBear, I could have used a leather thong. However, I was also entering the woven cord under another category. :) Oh and I'm holding a round knife and am cutting leather (though the knife is modern). And the main reason for not winning the competition was because I was not wearing "period" clothing in the painting. rolleyes.gif

http://leatherbybarry.com/SCA/LeatherCaseDocumentWeb.pdf

I'll be making Penners soon, they hold quills for scribes. It was worn on the belt. I'll post stuff when I'm done with that. And I'll also be making a parade helm heraldry coronet type thing... well when I make it you'll see that one too! smile.gif

I hope you all enjoy!

Barry

Beautiful work. I would enjoy reading your documentation also.

Are you coming to Pennsic and if so will you be exhibiting in the A&S display A case like that is on my to-do list. Unfortunately either the muse must grab me by the throat or my archery related projects tend to jump to the head of the line.

If you don't have it and are interested there is a book called "Purses and Pieces" that is an excellent reference to medieval leatherwork. It contains much more than just pouches and purses.

Beautiful work. I would enjoy reading your documentation also.

Are you coming to Pennsic and if so will you be exhibiting in the A&S display A case like that is on my to-do list. Unfortunately either the muse must grab me by the throat or my archery related projects tend to jump to the head of the line.

If you don't have it and are interested there is a book called "Purses and Pieces" that is an excellent reference to medieval leatherwork. It contains much more than just pouches and purses.

Yes, I'll definitely be at Pennsic. Yes, I definitely will be displaying it at the A&S display. And yes, I do have "Purses and Pieces"! smile.gif Look forward to seeing you at Pennsic. Bring some of your stuff by to the display! I love to see other leather workers art! spoton.gif

Barry

Damn I want to go to Pennsic, one day my wife and I will make the trek. It is only 2600 mile drive. Not a problem. Now back on topic, fantastic piece. The A&S community is lucky to have artists who always want to push the line. One day I will start putting in for competitions....maybe......lol

I didn't read the part about not period clothing. I just don't get some of the judges on these competitions. My wife built a elizabethan dress for her first A&S, not a well documented nor very period but she explained all of that. It was the hand embroidery on it that was the real A&S as well as the embelishments, she had it torn to shreds by the judges( a small shire level competition) and has not entered a competition since. I am suprised that hey didn't comment on the moon and sun not having faces either...lol

You keep up the good work, I would be proud to be at that level of skill.

Edited by Dmitri