rmr

Heal Shaver Opinion

After watching the J Watt DVD set several times I have been thinking about getting a Bob Douglas re-conditioned heal shaver for the groundseat work. I didnt realize that they came in several sizes. What size do you use the most as I cant affoerd at this time to get more than 1- options are a # 4,5 or 6

Thanks for your opinion

RMR

After watching the J Watt DVD set several times I have been thinking about getting a Bob Douglas re-conditioned heal shaver for the groundseat work. I didnt realize that they came in several sizes. What size do you use the most as I cant affoerd at this time to get more than 1- options are a # 4,5 or 6

Thanks for your opinion

RMR

Several years ago Bob and I were talking about these and he cringed when I said I was a potato peeler (black skivers). He told me then the three sizes I should look for and I thought that there was a skip in the sequence for one of them. He said that one would probably need a handle taken off on one side. I can't remember off the top of my head that size. I'd talk to Bob and see for sure. You might try one size to see how you like it and then work around with whatever you use now. I eventually got some and played with them, but just couldn't break the habit of the black skivers.

Aside - One night in Sheridan an old guy paraphrased one of Baxter Black's poems (People Are Funny Critters) about different types of people using the alphabet - "There's mayonnaise dippers and Miracle Whippers..." The only parts I remember is "There's old heel shavers and potato peeler wavers..." and "rawhide tree users and Ralide tree losers". Ringing any bells with anyone?

RMR,

I was a die hard user of heel shaves and spoke shaves for many years, and had a full set of heel shaves. I finally learned to use the dreaded potato peelers, and found them to be more user friendly. When you hit a nail and nick the blade on your heel shave, you cuss and spend the next hour re-sharpening your blade. With the peeler, you simply change the blade and get back to working on your ground seat.

You can easily sharpen the peeler on a buffer and cheaply replace it when it wears out. Heel shave ha to be re-adjusted each time you strop the blade. Blades are much more expensive to replace.

Initial investment is much less.

You can spend your time sharpening tools, or shaping ground seats. I learned to use the peelers and sold all my spoke & heel shaves, and have never looked back.

Good luck,

Keith

RMR,

I was a die hard user of heel shaves and spoke shaves for many years, and had a full set of heel shaves. I finally learned to use the dreaded potato peelers, and found them to be more user friendly. When you hit a nail and nick the blade on your heel shave, you cuss and spend the next hour re-sharpening your blade. With the peeler, you simply change the blade and get back to working on your ground seat.

You can easily sharpen the peeler on a buffer and cheaply replace it when it wears out. Heel shave ha to be re-adjusted each time you strop the blade. Blades are much more expensive to replace.

Initial investment is much less.

You can spend your time sharpening tools, or shaping ground seats. I learned to use the peelers and sold all my spoke & heel shaves, and have never looked back.

Good luck,

Keith

Total agreement here, Keith!! I do have some heel shaves, and will most likely sell them. I like the quick change out on the blades, also, and have never get mad when I nick those!!

Shelly

The "Potato Peelers", that is a nick name, yes? I was just looking at tools through Lee Valley Tools, as they have very high quality, and some decent lower price alternatives. Was trying to figure out what fine carpentry tools, would make fine leather working tools. There are a variety o spoke shaves. Can somebody be more specific on the potato peelers. Are you seriously talking about a potato peeler? There is one with a replaceable blade? Something is fishy here. . .

I always love that point in a discussion when you know, deep down inside where it counts, that the only on in the room with the stupid question. . .is you. But you really want to know the answer.:blush::P

Yep. I had a good look at my potato peeler, and didn't think it would do much to leather. Brilliant with carrots though! Thanks Pabloz, I had a feeling my confusion was a little justified.

Watching Dale Harwood shape his cantle with a spoke shave, It may still be a good thing to at least have one on your bench. A small one. I just happen to like to collect tools if I can get away with it.

Cheers,

Dennis

This sort of reminds me of the other bit of blasphemy I have personally committed by reaching for (get ready) a utility knife with a hook blade for the majority of cutting I do. I still use a round knife for cutting and in certain instances it is the only tool for the job but I am not going to ignore the possibility of using a more utilitarian tool with disposable blades if it quickens my work without comprimising quality. Plus, it allows me to easily cut tight curves in heavy leather.

Potato Peelers are al i have ever used, for all the reasons stated above.

Bob