Anne Bonnys Locker

Singer Threads - Tap & Die Set

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a tap and die set to make my own nuts and bolts for Singer machines?

If not - does anybody have a list of what the actual sizes are? There are people who list special taps and dies but without knowing the thread forms I know not what to order :(

Darren,

Here's some # for you,5/16-18,5/16-24,1/4-24,9/64-40,1/8-40,3/32-56,5/32-32,11/64-40,15/64-28,3/16-28,3/16-32,3/32-48,1/8-40,9/64-36

There is a kit with 20 of the most common ones available for just under $200.00 us

Bob

Thanks Bob, the willingness of you and others here to share knowledge continues to astound me. Over here the best people in the industry are all retiring and information is just being lost.

To quote a former Australian Treasurer "That is a beautiful set of numbers". That looks about the size range that most of the ones I need fall into so I will track a kit down.

Darren,

Here's some # for you,5/16-18,5/16-24,1/4-24,9/64-40,1/8-40,3/32-56,5/32-32,11/64-40,15/64-28,3/16-28,3/16-32,3/32-48,1/8-40,9/64-36

There is a kit with 20 of the most common ones available for just under $200.00 us

Bob

I want to second Anne's sentiment. Everyone on the board is helpful and responsive but Bob (sewmun) and Wiz are two of the foundations on which the site stands.

EY

Thanks Bob, the willingness of you and others here to share knowledge continues to astound me. Over here the best people in the industry are all retiring and information is just being lost.

To quote a former Australian Treasurer "That is a beautiful set of numbers". That looks about the size range that most of the ones I need fall into so I will track a kit down.

EY,

Anne Bonny was a 18th century pirate (ca 1702-1782). Darren Brosowski is the person you are talking about.

The foundation on which this site stands is Johanna, who puts in tons of work and pays the bills (despite advertisers and contributors who only make up a fraction of the cost).

Thanks for noticing.

Art

I want to second Anne's sentiment. Everyone on the board is helpful and responsive but Bob (sewmun) and Wiz are two of the foundations on which the site stands.

EY

Bob,

Thank you! Information on Singer threads is incredibly difficult to find, the most usual response I've seen is "they're wierd and proprietary and there's no information about them".

Do you sell the kits?

Thanks again.

Not to mention the math I have to go through to set my 15" lathe to cut those crazy pitches, and then holding that small drill rod. Then I have to make the taps which sometimes means making the dividing plate for them. A tap and die set would be well worth $200.

Art

Bob,

Thank you! Information on Singer threads is incredibly difficult to find, the most usual response I've seen is "they're wierd and proprietary and there's no information about them".

Do you sell the kits?

Thanks again.

EY

Thanks for the mention, but, I'm just a contributor, not part of the business itself.

Hell yes, $200 will be worth the investment for my own use let alone the customers who need odd screws.

Not to mention the math I have to go through to set my 15" lathe to cut those crazy pitches, and then holding that small drill rod. Then I have to make the taps which sometimes means making the dividing plate for them. A tap and die set would be well worth $200.

Art

I've never seen dies for sale as I suppose they were always made on screw machines,but yes we can order the tap kit of 20 most common taps & they can be bought individual also.

Bob

TapKit.jpg

Here is an image of my Singer/Union Speical tap kit being discussed here (it's mine, and used, of course).

Worth it's weight in gold!

MJ Foley has this tap kit with 20 popular sewing machine tap sizes in their catalog:

post-56402-0-16136100-1449888450_thumb.p

They also sell all of the above and theses additional tap sizes individually:

post-56402-0-92851300-1449888466_thumb.p

No dies, sorry.

They also have a box of "popular" Union Special screws, but I don't know what thread sizes those part numbers correspond to:

post-56402-0-06198200-1449889239_thumb.p

Edited by Uwe