Sign in to follow this  
chancey77

March 2012 Challenge

I say we use 4

Our normal 3 that we all seem to use plus 1 more that must be of a style included in the lucky 7 kit (pear shader, backgrounder, cam, or veiner).

I'm voting that way because I think Sylvia's main point was to get people to use those "other" tools in the kit in a manner that they wouldn't normally do.

Myself - using them at all meets that description :rofl:

7 tools??????

Good God wormans where is the challenge in that?????? hahahahaha

IF YOU ARE FOR 7 TOOL CHALLENGE JUST WRITE 7 OR WHATEVER NUMBER 1,2,3... IN YOUR REPLY TO THIS. WE HAVE 3 DAYS TO TALLY THE VOTES.

THINGS NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS ARE:

Hammer,ruler and wing divide,stylus,computer, AS ALWAYS! THOSE ARE GIVEN FREELY ALREADY:)

YOU MISSED THE CHALLENGE PART!!! LOL The challenge is to use the basic 7 to make TREE(S) Too many people think like Cyber did... that the basic 7 is only for designs and borders. But we can do so much more with them than that. This will force us to think beyond the geometry of the tools and show some artistry. :P

So I VOTE

THINGS NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS ARE:

Hammer,ruler and wing divide,stylus,computer, AS ALWAYS! THOSE ARE GIVEN FREELY ALREADY:)

Wish I knew that.. I just bought some dividers.. Speaking of which how sharp should the points be for leather work? The ebay seller sharpened them before sending and they are scratching a bit deep to my eyes.. Am I being to heavy handed or should I blunt the tips?

Am I being to heavy handed or should I blunt the tips?

Too heavy handed. Now vote... lol

Now vote... lol

Well if you insist.. I don't have a lot of spare leather with just getting started, so I doubt I'd do a tree challenge with 7 tools.. I'd need to experiment too much to get a feel for what was possible first. So I'd vote for something else entirely.. Say like a jolly roger, either classic skull and cross bones/swords or for more creativity in the design, a personal one - something like that could be done in 3 tools.. Does the free stylus include the spoon end or just the point?

Does the free stylus include the spoon end or just the point?

If you're using it to shape the leather - it's a tool

if you're using it to mark your design - it's a freebie

Did you ever get any of those bags of practice leather? I get so much good stuff in those that that's all I've used and haven't had to touch my side yet.

skulls? aw come on! It's spring!

Did you ever get any of those bags of practice leather? I get so much good stuff in those that that's all I've used and haven't had to touch my side yet.

I got some 3mm offcuts (with backs died brown!) off ebay, and have half a dozen bits left.. 4 of those are suitable for making something with. One of the others I plan to use to finalise the design for the belt that came in my starter kit.. So just one practice bit left really..

I do plan on getting more leather soon, but there's a few tools calling for my money a little louder first :)

I do plan on getting more leather soon, but there's a few tools calling for my money a little louder first :)

What will you do with the tools without leather????

I'm telling you man, 2 lbs of leather from Springfield for $7 is a lot of leather, or you can get a 3 LB bag from Zack White for $15. The Springfield bag has a good mix of lighter weight stuff and heavy weight. Everything in my Zack White bag was 8/9 oz, so no lining material but great for practice - and there were some pretty big straps in there too. But, I'm not sure if any of this is worth it once you add shipping to the UK.

What will you do with the tools without leather????

And vice versa of course ;)

I'm telling you man, 2 lbs of leather from Springfield for $7 is a lot of leather, or you can get a 3 LB bag from Zack White for $15. The Springfield bag has a good mix of lighter weight stuff and heavy weight. Everything in my Zack White bag was 8/9 oz, so no lining material but great for practice - and there were some pretty big straps in there too. But, I'm not sure if any of this is worth it once you add shipping to the UK.

Yeah it's the shipping that kills it.. I've not found a decent supply for offcuts in the UK.. Tandy prices are silly.. I'm probably going to get a traditional fatty veg tan italian shoulder (whatever that means!) within a few weeks - a 12 square foot one 4-5oz will set me back about $50 (the 2.2lbs of offcuts were nearly $20 - and that was cheapest I'd seen any)..

Edited by Domino

Yeah it's the shipping that kills it.. I've not found a decent supply for offcuts in the UK.. Tandy prices are silly.. I'm probably going to get a traditional fatty veg tan italian shoulder (whatever that means!) within a few weeks - a 12 square foot one 4-5oz will set me back about $50

What are you wanting to make with it? Most places I've seen are the same price regardless of the weight, so I'd say if it's available get something heavier and then skive it down as needed. Most of my stuff is 8/9 though, so I'd rarely have to skive that. I guess if everything you make is 4-5, then it would make more sense to get the right weight.

What are you wanting to make with it? Most places I've seen are the same price regardless of the weight, so I'd say if it's available get something heavier and then skive it down as needed. Most of my stuff is 8/9 though, so I'd rarely have to skive that. I guess if everything you make is 4-5, then it would make more sense to get the right weight.

Prices here go up with the weight (though it's priced per square foot, so maybe the same if buying by weight).. For 3 1/2 - 4 mm (which I'm guessing is around the 8-9oz mark) the price is pretty much double. I'm looking at this shoulder as being as cheap as offcuts, so gives me plenty to practice on and perhaps tackle something bigger like a bowls case..

Ouch - just saw that edit of $20 for 2 lbs. Yeah, at that rate you're definitely better off buying double shoulders or sides.

here's a good weight conversion chart that you might find useful since you're in the realm of millimeters.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leatherguide/leatherguide.aspx

offtopic.gif VOTE! Or MAKE SOMETHING!poofan.gifrofl.gif

I DID VOTE!!!!

And, I'm making something right now too (if you count making mac people angry)

Now I'm just bumping the thread up so people will hopefully continue to see it and take notice while at the same time helping someone :evillaugh:

I voted too.. For 3 tools and not trees (sorry Sylvia) ;)

I voted too.. For 3 tools and not trees (sorry Sylvia) ;)

Whatever. :ranting2:

1 more day before I throw down the axe on the next months challenge!

I wish more folks would join in and vote right now we are at 4 tools average from the lucky 7 kit.

1 More DAY!

1 More DAY1 More DAY1 More DAY1 More DAY1 More DAY!

hmmm, im new and i do love a challenge...

what I need motivation on is a "human portrait" i wanted to give someone as a gift...

but trees are fine too, as a "bonsai" was on my list to try as well...

so I would be opposed to the "7" as they arent prolly what I would use, so then it woudl be for the 3 or 4 option...

:)

what I need motivation on is a "human portrait" i wanted to give someone as a gift...

*please ixnay the face idea, i looked at the pic and thought, damn thats wayyy over my head right now, lol.

*please ixnay the face idea, i looked at the pic and thought, damn thats wayyy over my head right now, lol.

You'll get there. The stuff I'm doing now was WAAAY over my head just a couple months ago.

I'm seeing a consensus on 4 tools so far.

Still a couple of hours to spare yes.gif

but I'm gonna call this one done smile.gif

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!! Did you use the spray I gave you or the wax?

Looks like the spray.

She would be very happy...that is a great marker for what sounded like a great lost member of the family...RIP MIMMI!

hahahaha ok......don't worry you will find out tomorrow!

Get a good nights sleep!

No Faces!

Edited by chancey77

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!! Did you use the spray I gave you or the wax?

Looks like the spray.

She would be very happy...that is a great marker for what sounded like a great lost member of the family...RIP MIMMI!

Thanks for that thumbsup.gif I used the spray, 3 coats. Did it in the warmest room in the house, the bathroom, got quite a buzz from the fumes. whistle.gif

Then, I read the instructions Lighten.gif LOL

hahahaha ok......don't worry you will find out tomorrow!

Get a good nights sleep!

No Faces!

It'll be what it'll be, I won't loose any sleep over it. zzz.gif

I'm seeing a consensus on 4 tools so far.

Nearly forgot this....

I'm going with the 4 tools. Not sure I've even got those in the '7'. Might have one or two that are close though.