Shaunny Rotten

First Attempt At Vacuum Forming

Simple holster I am currently working on, threw it into the vac bag to see what happened. I like the results so far.

DSCF1040.jpg

your vacuum bags work better than mine. looks like you didn't leave enough room in front of the trigger guard for an effective grip.

This morning's progress.

There really isn't a lot of depth to the detail on this rubber gun. For instance the ejector port is only set back from the top of the slide by about 1/32" The left side of it is fairly plain and I am really happy with the amount of detail that the bag was able to produce. The only forming that I needed to do manually was right at the front of the trigger guard but I figured that I would need to do that anyways.

DSCF1043.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

your vacuum bags work better than mine. looks like you didn't leave enough room in front of the trigger guard for an effective grip

This is one of the most effective vac bags that I have used' date=' and it's also one of the most inexpensive I've ever found. As for the shape, I'm sure I went wrong it a few places and I'll be sure to address those issues in later designs, however this was merely supposed to be a test of the vac bag on leather. The gun clicks into the holster quite nicely and there's no worry of it falling out. Most of the time it draws smoothly however every once and a while it jams in there pretty good and I need to use two hands to remove it from the holster. [/color']

Can you give a bit more detail on your vacuum setup. More pics, etc.

I got the kit from a company in Toronto called Roarockit. It's their Thin Air Press kit with a 26x28 bag. It's a manual pump that draws a better vacuum than a any of the electric pumps that I have used.

The kit can be found here: http://www.roarockit....php?prod=01301

Interesting. I was about to drop almost $300 on a electric vacuum pump and kit. I might have to look into the manual kit. Looks to be $60 plus shipping.

Shaunny how has the Roarockit kit held up for you?

Interesting. I was about to drop almost $300 on a electric vacuum pump and kit. I might have to look into the manual kit. Looks to be $60 plus shipping.

Shaunny how has the Roarockit kit held up for you?

They hold up great. I know quite a few people who use them for woodworking of various descriptions. Mostly making skateboards and longboards. Wood can beat the tar out of vac bags and these ones stand up repetitive use like no other. Most of the systems that I've seen on the market try to keep costs down by giving you a crappy bag and a mid range electric pump, however these bags are top notch. The pump that comes with it could draw enough vacuum to suck start a harley.

what is the weight of leather you were using on the holster. Most are 8/9oz. This is really cool and actually makes me want to use it for other stuff. Thanks for posting this! :)

They hold up great. I know quite a few people who use them for woodworking of various descriptions. Mostly making skateboards and longboards. Wood can beat the tar out of vac bags and these ones stand up repetitive use like no other. Most of the systems that I've seen on the market try to keep costs down by giving you a crappy bag and a mid range electric pump, however these bags are top notch. The pump that comes with it could draw enough vacuum to suck start a harley.

I ordered one. Thanks for the link.

what is the weight of leather you were using on the holster. Most are 8/9oz. This is really cool and actually makes me want to use it for other stuff. Thanks for posting this! :)

This one was around 4/5 oz. I'm still pretty new at leather work so I used what I had on hand.

Triage, enjoy.

Shaunny Rotten, . . . would you do us all a great big favor? Take a pair of calipers and gauge the thickness of the material used in the bag.

I'm thinking that my bag is much thicker than yours, . . . would like to know for sure, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Shaunny Rotten, . . . would you do us all a great big favor? Take a pair of calipers and gauge the thickness of the material used in the bag.

I'm thinking that my bag is much thicker than yours, . . . would like to know for sure, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I'll try to get you that information by the end of the day.