MadMorbius

(Not So) Parallel Lines

Folks, probably a dumb question. What' s the best way to make parallel lines around a piece of work, for example the 1/8 and 1/4 lines around the outside of Will Ghormley's Hand of God holster? I've tried to do this with a swivel knife, stiching groover, dividers, etc, but cant' find a solution that yields a result I'm happy with. I even tried this little tandy groover thingy that attaches to a swivel knife...and it sucks too.

What tool do you use for this?

See the attachment...parallel lines not so parallel. I'm sure this is easy, but I'm thick.

post-25225-059524300 1331495754_thumb.jp

Mad....I don't know if you're trying to cut the outside border as well as the inside border, but for the inside, definitely get a beader blade. Beader blades are simply blades that fit in your swivel knife and are basically two blades that carve at once. I got my beader blade from Barry King, and it works awesome. There's other makers that make beaders blades also. For the outside, if you're not cutting that border, a stitch groover should work fine. Make one pass the width you want, then figure out the distance between the next line, adjust the stitch groover and make the second line. I'm thinking a beader blade will be your answer though.

Thanks, I checked out Barry King's site and ordered some of his border blades as well as beaders...ordered some of his lifters while I was at it :)

So I'll try that, but I'd still like to hear from others on how they accomplish this.

Thanks, I checked out Barry King's site and ordered some of his border blades as well as beaders...ordered some of his lifters while I was at it :)

So I'll try that, but I'd still like to hear from others on how they accomplish this.

Did you get a swivel knife too? I'm not sure but I think his beaders and border blades are made to fit his knives.

Never mind I see he has them for tandy and other brands too.

Edited by Sylvia

If I'm doing a stitching line such as the outside line on your holster, . . . I will always use a stitch groover, . . . because I want my stitches to lay down in the groove and be protected from abrasion,etc.

If I'm just putting a second "decorative" line, . . . mostly I use a pair of dividers that I took to a piece of sand paper and permanently dulled the ends so I get a rounded groove instead of a pointed slash/groove that a sharp divider end will do.

But in your case, . . . and please don't take offense, . . . from what I could see, . . . it just looked like you got in a hurry, . . . especially up over the top outside piece of the holster where the cylinder is.

Whenever you are grooving or putting in decorative lines, . . . always, . . . always, . . . make sure your leather is fully flat, . . . and the surface under it is flat. Pull in only one direction, . . . pull with the same hand, . . . and take your time. Again, . . . take your time.

Also, . . . I learned a long time ago that sometimes looking at the raw leather, . . . it looks kinda bad, . . . but after all the finishing touches are done, . . . and it is finished, . . . it looks a whole lot better. Those double lines at the holster mouth will disappear during sewing, molding, dyeing, and finishing.

Another thing, though, . . . you should have put your holster together, . . . sanded the edges, . . . edged it, . . . before you grooved the seam side. Sometimes it doesn't quite line up perfectly, . . . when you sand it smooth, . . . if the groove lines are already there, . . . they can then be "off" because of removed material.

Now!!! After all the criticism, . . . let me say good job on the carving. I envy you guys who have the dexterity and patience for that, . . . it just doesn't happen with me. Too old, . . . too shakey, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you for your comments, and I dont take offense at all. I missed sanding the contour at that location and the dividers dutifully followed the uneven edge...so my own fault there. Feedback accepted :)

Folks, probably a dumb question. What' s the best way to make parallel lines around a piece of work, for example the 1/8 and 1/4 lines around the outside of Will Ghormley's Hand of God holster? I've tried to do this with a swivel knife, stiching groover, dividers, etc, but cant' find a solution that yields a result I'm happy with. I even tried this little tandy groover thingy that attaches to a swivel knife...and it sucks too.

What tool do you use for this?

See the attachment...parallel lines not so parallel. I'm sure this is easy, but I'm thick.

the beader blades are the way to go, if your ordering custom tools i think you should try out a good swivel knife, I'm glad i dropped the cash on one. they last forever basically and i also wanted to say good job on that holster, i wanted to do one myself and i think u motivated me to. lol

my other alternative advice to the parallel lines....since you will not always need the size that you have you may need to do them the old fashioned way. first make sure you have all the advantages at your side (leather cased proper and evenly, a good sharp blade, and hopefully a swivel knife that turns smooth and has dependable control). i have done straight lines using a metal ruler and using that as a guide for my knife. think about which line to do first, sometimes you need to do the inside first so you can place your ruler and see your previous line and the ruler does not cover it up (you'll get it when u try it) if your knife catches from being dull or hit a dry spot on the leather this may cause a little jerky action and oops, this also happens with imperfections in the leather.

good job on the holster though,

Ok I have checked out Barry King's website. I want to order his beader blade like yall advise on this thread, but would you explain the difference between the beader blade and the border blade. I know most of you will think Im stupid for not knowing but I dont so Im gonna ask.