DoubleC

Calling All Your Artistic Types

I think we may be making the first sales call next Monday, or anyway pretty soon. George suggested I come up with a way I want to display my stuff to prospective clients for two reasons. Well one it's much cooler than playing cards with them on the counter, LOL and also if I already have them displayed I have a better chance of KEEPING them displayed in a good area should they choose to take them on consignment or whatever, rather than have the store end up doing their own display say some where like the store room?

The only idea I've had so far is this antique French drop front desk I have has literally rotted in places, but the drawers are ok. UH, VERY naturally distressed but ok. I hung one sideways in my bathroom as a shelf. I thought of using one of the drawers with eye hooks screwed in the back to hang the pendants and rhythm beads on. Maybe replace the knobs with a leather handle on each side. And that is absolutely the ONLY idea my poor old, tired, almost celless brain has had. I don't want to display them in a cheesy plastic jewelry display case, etc. Anyone? Everyone? Thanks Cheryl.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe line it with some felt or something to make it look more like a jewelry display that people would see at a fancy store while at the same time highlighting your work.

I think we may be making the first sales call next Monday, or anyway pretty soon. George suggested I come up with a way I want to display my stuff to prospective clients for two reasons. Well one it's much cooler than playing cards with them on the counter, LOL and also if I already have them displayed I have a better chance of KEEPING them displayed in a good area should they choose to take them on consignment or whatever, rather than have the store end up doing their own display say some where like the store room?

The only idea I've had so far is this antique French drop front desk I have has literally rotted in places, but the drawers are ok. UH, VERY naturally distressed but ok. I hung one sideways in my bathroom as a shelf. I thought of using one of the drawers with eye hooks screwed in the back to hang the pendants and rhythm beads on. Maybe replace the knobs with a leather handle on each side. And that is absolutely the ONLY idea my poor old, tired, almost celless brain has had. I don't want to display them in a cheesy plastic jewelry display case, etc. Anyone? Everyone? Thanks Cheryl.

Didn't you once say you have an old suit case you wanted to cover or rework? If it sits on it's end so it opens like a book... okay... then perhaps you can strip the old fabric out of it (gets rid of any smells) and use some of that red suede or maybe even cool wall paper with horses or barns to replace the backing. Then you can get some 1/2" x 1/2" square wood stock and fix several rungs across both sides, place cup cooks on along those.

For safety, I would create some sort of "stay" that keeps the suitcase from opening too wide and falling over. Maybe a leather strip and two snaps? Or even velcro ribbon strips?

I do sales for a living and here's how I would do it. You want to approach the customer with a handout that explains you and your product, short and sweet. Show them some smaples and explain what they are and how they work. This is very important, have pricing available on the spot. Next if they are interested have a readya made display board to put them out immediatley. If you wait for them and your things are on consignment forget it, you lose. Next make sure you have a contract to complete the sale. However you want to do this can be simple." You new guy got $$ of my stuff on this day", signed by both parties and a copy for each. Sell it while your there. If you hear come back later, that is not good. One more thing. Good luck and go get em. Just my $.02, but that's how I do it and it works.Please don't quote this whole item to respond it just makes the threads longer and harder to read. Hit add a reply and reference me. I'll get it.

Jon

Edited by Bluesman

OK< how crazy is this?

I just went down and ,looked in the basement and found my old Victorian slipper chair I've been going to upholster forever, and just haven't gotten around to it. I was thinking I could paint it, I just had my apt. painted so I have red, yellow, green and blue. Well and tons of white. I thought I could put the pendants on the top and let the rhythm beads drape down over the sides. Everyone has room for a chair even if they don't have counter space, and who could resist this as a display?

Edited by DoubleC

Go with you gut

Edited by Bluesman

OK< how crazy is this?

I just went down and ,looked in the basement and found my old Victorian slipper chair I've been going to upholster forever, and just haven't gotten around to it. I was thinking I could paint it, I just had my apt. painted so I have red, yellow, green and blue. Well and tons of white. I thought I could put the pendants on the top and let the rhythm beads drape down over the sides. Everyone has room for a chair even if they don't have counter space, and who could resist this as a display?

God, took me forever to get the image, grrrrrr

Sorry, keep forgetting how to do this. Your advice is good and I'm way listening Jon. I'm afraid, like Syl that the drawer or the suitcase bottom may fall over and I'd get sued instead of sell anything, LOL. Cheryl

So you want to sell it on a chair??? How many chairs do you have? Or better yet do you only want one customer? Think big! Small creative display board that will fit on a counter. Leave it and go onto the next acoount.

So you want to sell it on a chair??? How many chairs do you have? Or better yet do you only want one customer? Think big! Small creative display board that will fit on a counter. Leave it and go onto the next acoount.

UH, good point. Man do I need some sleep. OK, I only have so many drawers in rotted desks, and suitcases too. So now we're starting all over.

Calling all you artistic types to help with a display rofl.gif

What about lamp shades, wire round tomato stake thingys, uh, need some help here. I have some rice paper that I could attach to card stock and print off farm scenes, horses, etc and glue to lamp shades, and you can get those at every flea market, thrift store, and curb alert?

UH, good point. Man do I need some sleep. OK, I only have so many drawers in rotted desks, and suitcases too. So now we're starting all over.

Calling all you artistic types to help with a display rofl.gif

What about lamp shades, wire round tomato stake thingys, uh, need some help here. I have some rice paper that I could attach to card stock and print off farm scenes, horses, etc and glue to lamp shades, and you can get those at every flea market, thrift store, and curb alert?

Ok, what about this? Burlap attached to poster board with a picture frame type stand off the back. Sisal rope hot glued around the edge. U-shaped pins. Simple, light, and can be done on a shoe string. (spray the burlap with fabreze) Stencil your silhouette logo on the top in black paint.

Attaching your items with u-shaped pins should be easy and won't damage the items.

Ok, what about this? Burlap attached to poster board with a picture frame type stand off the back. Sisal rope hot glued around the edge. U-shaped pins. Simple, light, and can be done on a shoe string. (spray the burlap with fabreze) Stencil your silhouette logo on the top in black paint.

Attaching your items with u-shaped pins should be easy and won't damage the items.

Sylvia, we obviously wear different size shoes rofl.gif I know what you're saying IS inexpensive, probably 15 bucks to get it all and make up some, but I don't have it right now. I don't have a glue gun, burlap, poster board, sisal rope, or those back thingys, and I don't even know what U shaped pin is?

And how would I stencil my silhouette?

Next month I could do that and have a ball. This month, a couple decorated 25 cent lampshades is looking very good.

Sylvia, we obviously wear different size shoes rofl.gif I know what you're saying IS inexpensive, probably 15 bucks to get it all and make up some, but I don't have it right now. I don't have a glue gun, burlap, poster board, sisal rope, or those back thingys, and I don't even know what U shaped pin is?

And how would I stencil my silhouette?

Next month I could do that and have a ball. This month, a couple decorated 25 cent lampshades is looking very good.

Ok....

Find the burlap sacks at the barn or use any linen or burlap style fabric you have. even old cloth flour sacks would work.

Use baling twine from hay at the barn.

You would stencil by printing your logo and cutting it out tracing and filling it in if you have to.

As for the "board" you could use some nice sturdy cardboard from decent boxes. (or go ask for refrigerator boxes from the appliance store) That should be enough to make at least 10

As for as the "Stand" ... come on girl I know you've seen them before.

http://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Stick-Easel-Backs-white/dp/B001DKLEJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331778307&sr=8-2

As far as "u-shaped pins" Think hair pins.

post-26936-005892300 1331778244_thumb.jp

Oh, ok I got it (about the pins). Syl, feed hasn't come in burlap in 30 years, nor does flour come in cloth. I WISH. I used to collect those, but they're all in ohio. And cut out my logo? LOL, I haven't used any of that acrylic, it's still right here waiting to be sent to you. Staple a business card to it, maybe. And I knew what you meant about the backs, but I'm really starting to get embarrassed here, I can't afford the pins, much less anything else. and I'd like to not have to repeat that

Oh, ok I got it (about the pins). Syl, feed hasn't come in burlap in 30 years, nor does flour come in cloth. I WISH. I used to collect those, but they're all in ohio. And cut out my logo? LOL, I haven't used any of that acrylic, it's still right here waiting to be sent to you. Staple a business card to it, maybe. And I knew what you meant about the backs, but I'm really starting to get embarrassed here, I can't afford the pins, much less anything else. and I'd like to not have to repeat that

I've seen oats here in Burlap a year ago. Maybe back east they don't do that anymore at all? Any yardage would work actually. I just like the burlap idea because it would give it a rustic chic look. Just plain white sheets cut to fit would work... you could even dye (stain) them with good strong coffee or tea to make them more antique looking. Even old doilies and doodahs can give it a vintage look. Maybe even old cut up faded jeans?? White glue would work as long as you can pin, clamp, or otherwise keep it held in place until the glue dries.

It doesn't need to be that kind of pins, you can just tie your things on with ribbons, or bits of leather thong. Or use small safety pins if you have them. Think woman think! lol

A business card might work temporarily. But eventually you'll want to make your logo prominent and permanent.

I like this kind of "marketing" I did it for years... window dressing, signage, all kinds of artsy fartsy display stuff.

I've seen oats here in Burlap a year ago. Maybe back east they don't do that anymore at all? Any yardage would work actually. I just like the burlap idea because it would give it a rustic chic look. Just plain white sheets cut to fit would work... you could even dye (stain) them with good strong coffee or tea to make them more antique looking. Even old doilies and doodahs can give it a vintage look. Maybe even old cut up faded jeans?? White glue would work as long as you can pin, clamp, or otherwise keep it held in place until the glue dries.

It doesn't need to be that kind of pins, you can just tie your things on with ribbons, or bits of leather thong. Or use small safety pins if you have them. Think woman think! lol

A business card might work temporarily. But eventually you'll want to make your logo prominent and permanent.

I like this kind of "marketing" I did it for years... window dressing, signage, all kinds of artsy fartsy display stuff.

I like your ideas....yeah burlap and sisal would be perfect, but I do have a ton of bailing twine here so it would work. Lots of old denim, every pair i own, LOL.

I like your ideas....yeah burlap and sisal would be perfect, but I do have a ton of bailing twine here so it would work. Lots of old denim, every pair i own, LOL.

ooooo if you use denim jeans.... the back pocket of a pair could be your business card holder for the display! Just sew a line on the pocket so they stick up a bit and is easy to take.

OK, now that's way cool. My 'case' started out as denim pants cut off, a killer pair of wrangler carpenters, so denim it shall be!

I'm going to put the whole back part on the board and use the belt loops for hanging :-) I knew you guys would come through for me!

Well this is what I came up with last night. Be brutal guys because the barn I'm going to is going to be. Thanks so much, Cheryl

Well this is what I came up with last night. Be brutal guys because the barn I'm going to is going to be. Thanks so much, Cheryl

Well, Hmmm...

If you are planning to use the stool as a display then I think the background fabric is too busy. It takes away from the items you want to sell. In fact when I first saw it I didn't even see the pendants.

The denim in the basket is interesting but I think you would find the mare stare and eye of the horse thing would be better suited to that display. I really like the little bit of brown gingham.

Not sure what to think about the tin I can't see it all that well.

CC. I have an idea for the stool.

Look in your things for your Button Collection. (I know you have one) Look for a piece of some fabric... or the leg from a pair of those jeans... You want a piece about 1 inch smaller than the perimeter then the top of the stool. If you don't have a sewing machine 1/4" of the fabric under all the way around and pin it in place. Use fabric glue (leather glue) or whatever to glue the hem down. Iron if you have one... if not find a plastic box with a smooth bottom or a smooth glass bottle and get to burnishing... the faster you go the more heat you'll generate. Iron it until it's nice an neat.

Then take your buttons and frame the edges with a random mix of buttons. Look for colors that go well with the blue of the denim and the brown yellows of the other fabrics. Place and attach the buttons about oh... 2-3 finger widths apart. Here's the cool part. you can hang your stuff from the buttons. Now attach the whole thing to the top of the stool... making sure that you maintain that 1 inch perimeter and make it really secure.

Here is a man's perspective (don't know if you want it or not). When I look at what you have for a display I spend more time looking at the display background not at the items you are trying to sell. I understand an attractive display is important, however what you want to have attract attention are the items you are trying to sell. A plainer background in an interesting motiff I think would be better. I once set up a display of western holsters using an old lever action rifle a Texas Ranger badge and an 1800's set of hand cuffs, I spent more time answering questions about those items then I did the holsters. In most cases I truly believe in the KISS method. Just my 2 cents worth (and it may not even be worth that much).

Scott

Well, Hmmm...

If you are planning to use the stool as a display then I think the background fabric is too busy. It takes away from the items you want to sell. In fact when I first saw it I didn't even see the pendants.

The denim in the basket is interesting but I think you would find the mare stare and eye of the horse thing would be better suited to that display. I really like the little bit of brown gingham.

Not sure what to think about the tin I can't see it all that well.

Yes, I use the material on the stool because they were old linen napkins I had with chickens etc on them but as soon as i saw them the way the camera saw them, I could tell the material was too busy. I should have reversed them, the lighter weather vane material on top and the other as a skirt. The tin is an old Rileys candy tin from England, nothing special, just has the lid (red) and could be closed up for travel. George liked it but we agreed too busy. He likes the chair idea too for just one place BUT thinks all I need is to take the things with me to begin with (I misunderstood when he said i should think about how to display them) and then if they take them, offer to do the display so I can be sure it's being seen. I have TWO rhinestone ribbon earrings in that stool display, bigger than the silver and black and even THERE got lost in the pictures. Yup, too busy, way too busy. If I do it as a display, I'll redo it with the weather vane on top, and the brighter one as a skirt. Thanks for looking Syl.

CC. I have an idea for the stool.

Look in your things for your Button Collection. (I know you have one) Look for a piece of some fabric... or the leg from a pair of those jeans... You want a piece about 1 inch smaller than the perimeter then the top of the stool. If you don't have a sewing machine 1/4" of the fabric under all the way around and pin it in place. Use fabric glue (leather glue) or whatever to glue the hem down. Iron if you have one... if not find a plastic box with a smooth bottom or a smooth glass bottle and get to burnishing... the faster you go the more heat you'll generate. Iron it until it's nice an neat.

Then take your buttons and frame the edges with a random mix of buttons. Look for colors that go well with the blue of the denim and the brown yellows of the other fabrics. Place and attach the buttons about oh... 2-3 finger widths apart. Here's the cool part. you can hang your stuff from the buttons. Now attach the whole thing to the top of the stool... making sure that you maintain that 1 inch perimeter and make it really secure.

I DON'T have a button collection (you're right, I did, you know I collect every thing, LOL). I sold two lbs of buttons when I sold all my jewelry making supplies. the whole thing I sold was about 10 lbs and I think I got maybe $25.00 for it. Dumbest, well in the 10 ten, thing I ever did. All I have now are elephant buttons (collect elephants too LOL) and anchor buttons (that's too long a story for this early, LOL) but if I can find them they would work but they're pretty small. But the eyes are light. Not much of a choice of colors though.

Here is a man's perspective (don't know if you want it or not). When I look at what you have for a display I spend more time looking at the display background not at the items you are trying to sell. I understand an attractive display is important, however what you want to have attract attention are the items you are trying to sell. A plainer background in an interesting motiff I think would be better. I once set up a display of western holsters using an old lever action rifle a Texas Ranger badge and an 1800's set of hand cuffs, I spent more time answering questions about those items then I did the holsters. In most cases I truly believe in the KISS method. Just my 2 cents worth (and it may not even be worth that much).

Scott

Oh no Scott, it's very welcome. Not just from a man's perspective, but from personal experience. I told Sylvia, I should have reversed them, put the lighter weather vane green napkin on top and the busier one as a skirt around the stool. I just didn't realize it until I saw it through the camera, and it was a little late by then, LOL. However, I have more of these old napkins left so I may just reverse them, plus a couple more clementine boxes. Plus I have some orangish bailing twine from the barn that just matches the orange in the top material so may use it like, oh, that upholstery stuff they cover on cushions, etc. That should draw the eye up from the busy material skirt to the top where the display is. I like the idea still, can keep adding and subtracting eyes from it, just needs a different idea for the material. thanks for helping Scott. Cheryl