Menolly

Thread Is Bunching Up

A friend of mine came over to help me thread my machine. My knowledge about sewing machines is minimal. She knows the basics. So, together we are pretty dangerous. evillaugh.gif In the pictures the wadded up thread is the bobbin side. The top is in the second picture. We were using a Singer 111w102 size 22 needle with 138 thread for top and 69 thread for G bobbin. This is what the sewing store suggested to me.

Thanks for your help!

post-17944-079255700 1332825948_thumb.jp

post-17944-096795200 1332825957_thumb.jp

post-17944-060690700 1332825967_thumb.jp

Looks to me like you missed out the take up lever.

Pictures of how you threaded the machine would be more useful than the results.

Here's a threading diagram.

Bob

post-7185-074101400 1332845225_thumb.jpg

G'Day from Western Australia,

I had a similar problem with my Seiko STW28B ( once was a twin needle , now single needle, see pics)

I use mine for horse rug repairs, and I found that the thread was 'codging up' underneath, (bobbin side) . It was getting frustrating as it was happeneing on every job.

After spending a bit of time paying closer attention to it (and giving it a good service) , I took apart the shuttle,removed the bobbin, and I tightened the tension screw ( its very tiny, you can just see it on the pic ) , and hey presto, no more 'codging up'.

The diagram that Bob has attached is pretty darn close to how my machine is threaded.

And despite the foreign language, those diagrams are very helpful.

That may not be the exact problem, but I hope this helps:wave:

Best Regards

HS:wave:

post-7215-048242400 1332847194_thumb.jpg

post-7215-085485600 1332847273_thumb.jpg

The looping underneath is always the needle thread either it's to loose of a tension setting(on the top tension) or threaded incorrectly.

A master saddler recently described repairing horse rugs as "throwing a bucket of sand at your machine". Keep it clean or those precision ground gears are going to wear. A conventional central bobbin machine is less prone to wear which is why the 132k6 is so popular for the job.

G'Day from Western Australia,

I had a similar problem with my Seiko STW28B ( once was a twin needle , now single needle, see pics)

I use mine for horse rug repairs, and I found that the thread was 'codging up' underneath, (bobbin side) . It was getting frustrating as it was happeneing on every job.

After spending a bit of time paying closer attention to it (and giving it a good service) , I took apart the shuttle,removed the bobbin, and I tightened the tension screw ( its very tiny, you can just see it on the pic ) , and hey presto, no more 'codging up'.

The diagram that Bob has attached is pretty darn close to how my machine is threaded.

And despite the foreign language, those diagrams are very helpful.

That may not be the exact problem, but I hope this helps:wave:

Best Regards

HS:wave:

Thanks guys! I am going to have to have my friend study the info you have posted too. She is not internet savvy so I will have to wait til next time she comes over...sigh. So don't think I forgot about you. It may take several days til I can report on any progress. bike.gif

i had that happen a few times before on a friends machine, i didn't hold the threads at the beginning of the stitch and it was all downhill from there and then it was due to improper tension on one other occasion

A master saddler recently described repairing horse rugs as "throwing a bucket of sand at your machine". Keep it clean or those precision ground gears are going to wear. A conventional central bobbin machine is less prone to wear which is why the 132k6 is so popular for the job.

Thank you for your response.

And your right, they do get quite messy.

On my machine, I do make regular checks , do regular cleaning, and indeed, regular oiling, its become a (good) habit now.

And, as my own rule of thumb, after I do an inspection of the rug for damage, what repairs need doing etc. I go over the whole rug with a stiff brush to clean away any 'debris' etc. .

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of washing facilities so I end up smelling like a horses butt by the time I've finished, and when I've done quite a few rug repairs, my dog is real friendly with me too !! But I enjoy it :)

Best Regards

HS

I am just not sure I am threading the bobbin correctly. I have looked and looked at youtube for how to videos but haven't really found what I need. Anyone have any links for bobbin threading? The thread seems to jam up under the foot plate.

I am just not sure I am threading the bobbin correctly. I have looked and looked at youtube for how to videos but haven't really found what I need. Anyone have any links for bobbin threading? The thread seems to jam up under the foot plate.

If it was looping on top of the material then it would be the bobbin,looping underneath is always the top thread either too loose of tension or threaded incorrectly(on the top) or to large of thread for the machine.