rosiart

Tandy Edge Beveler

I have a Tandy keen edge beveler size 2. The red plastic coating? on the tip part has come off. Is that plasic dohickey important for the tool to work properly as my edges now seem to be uneven?

I have a Tandy keen edge beveler size 2. The red plastic coating? on the tip part has come off. Is that plasic dohickey important for the tool to work properly as my edges now seem to be uneven?

If it that hard, thin plastic-like coating, it is just a protective coating to protect in shipping and such. I strip all of that stuff off before the first stropping and use.

If it that hard, thin plastic-like coating, it is just a protective coating to protect in shipping and such. I strip all of that stuff off before the first stropping and use.

It's like wax or something? So far anything I've gotten from them that's sharp has that on it. I think it's like a liability thing so you don't hurt yourself unpacking it.

You were using it with that stuff on it? I'm surprised it cut at all.

Thanks. I didn't know if it was important. I have stropped it and it seems to be much better.

It's like wax or something? So far anything I've gotten from them that's sharp has that on it. I think it's like a liability thing so you don't hurt yourself unpacking it.

You were using it with that stuff on it? I'm surprised it cut at all.

I think it must not have been all the way onto the cutting edge. That's all I can think of that would allow it to work.

I have a really small, old old beveler that was with a set of stamps my father in law found for me, and it didn't work too good when I got it. I watched GH's video on stropping bevelers and went and stropped the crap out of it and it works really nice. Now I strop it after every use and it works like it's new. I think the more you strop it the easier it'll be to use, but I'm pretty new to this also so maybe get confirmation on that.

Edited by Mike516

Quick follow up question. I'm just now getting around to using a beveled I bought awhile back. Is there a trick to getting this stuff off? It's like melted on. Not like it's designed to peal off.

It's pretty brittle Glendon. Try scraping the top edge with the back of a knife blade (obviously not on the cutting surface of either tool). Once you get an edge lifted up to grab a hold of, it will usually break up and sort of peel off.

Thanks. A flat edge did the trick. Just took a little more force then I was expecting.