loriwoo

Dye Romel Reins

I purchased a set of used romel show reins, they are braided reins with silver ferrels. They were, unknown to me, ultra light in color.

I need them to be golden. From the picture, you can see the actual colors. I need them to be the color of the wide end. These colors are acurate in the picture. I believe the reins have some sort of protectant on them so they stay light. Is it even possible to change the color of these reins?

They are made by Billy Royal. Thank you, Lori

$(KGrHqZ,!r!E88gToyfLBPbeVd59Ng~~60_35.JPG

I purchased a set of used romel show reins, they are braided reins with silver ferrels. They were, unknown to me, ultra light in color.

I need them to be golden. From the picture, you can see the actual colors. I need them to be the color of the wide end. These colors are acurate in the picture. I believe the reins have some sort of protectant on them so they stay light. Is it even possible to change the color of these reins?

They are made by Billy Royal. Thank you, Lori

$(KGrHqZ,!r!E88gToyfLBPbeVd59Ng~~60_35.JPG

Hi Lori. I tell you I dye and paint and color in some way about everything but my dog, but if those reins were mine, I'd sell them and get the color I wanted. I bought a new black tack set online and when I got it some of the natural tan was showing through. I worked on that for two weeks trying to get it black before I finally painted it black. Already finished leather is hard to work with, and what are you going to do with your ferrules? I mean you can polish them afterward but dye will get underneath them, possibly stay wet. It could be done but it's going to take a lot of work. Cheryl

Hi Lori. I tell you I dye and paint and color in some way about everything but my dog, but if those reins were mine, I'd sell them and get the color I wanted. I bought a new black tack set online and when I got it some of the natural tan was showing through. I worked on that for two weeks trying to get it black before I finally painted it black. Already finished leather is hard to work with, and what are you going to do with your ferrules? I mean you can polish them afterward but dye will get underneath them, possibly stay wet. It could be done but it's going to take a lot of work. Cheryl

Wow that is disappointing,, I cannot begin to afford another pair, these were a steal,,,I was told to wrap the silver with painters tape, use a very small paintbrush or q-tip in those areas, but that I also needed to put something on to remove the finish.

sigh,

thanks for your comment. I will carefully consider your advice.

OH PS< I color my dogs, and other people's too! ha ha, I am a dog groomer, we love coloring dogs! But dogs are easy, this probably is not.

Wow that is disappointing,, I cannot begin to afford another pair, these were a steal,,,I was told to wrap the silver with painters tape, use a very small paintbrush or q-tip in those areas, but that I also needed to put something on to remove the finish.

sigh,

thanks for your comment. I will carefully consider your advice.

OH PS< I color my dogs, and other people's too! ha ha, I am a dog groomer, we love coloring dogs! But dogs are easy, this probably is not.

If i was going to do it Lori, I would PANT them the color you want mixing cova paints and dyes, or water based. I thought you just wanted to dip them in something. I would use a saddle tan dye mixed with just a smidge brown acrylic paint to darken it and thicken it so you can manage it. Mix it where you think it's the right color then do an easy place you can keep redoing until you get the color you want. will probably take at least two coats. If I can help, let me know or ask some others here too. Cheryl

From what I can see in the photo. ( it wont get bigger) is that the reins are made from rawhide. Which most romel reins are where I live.

The piece you are looking to match is made from Veg-tan leather. The Veg-tan leather will darken in the sunlight . Just like a human will tan in the sun.

I believe that the rawhide most likely wont take a color. It usually gets darker from use, ( oil dirt etc...) but it was probably never the same color as the flapper on the end of the reins, and most likely never will be.

Sorry

Joel

Much as I would hope they are rawhide like Joel suggests, I am sort of familiar with Billy Royal. It is what it is. The silver is probably plated and so you have to be careful what you might use to dye or prep to dye. I can't enlarge that picture enough to tell, but my suspicion is that they are braided vegtan or some sort of chrome tan and not rawhide. The finish may be a dye, but I would not bet on it. Several of these companies are using a pigmented sprayed on topcoat to get an even color in their finished products. If so, consider it like a coat of paint on top of the leather. Some of them use this on "light oil" saddles to keep the color from darkening. It prevents any sort of conditioning. If it eventually thins out or cranks, any attempts to condition end up blotchy.

If you try to change coloron something flexible like reins you might have a problem with peeling or cracking with your coating. It might work for a while if you don't use them much.

OK, They rea not rawhide, but sounds like I should just sell them or send them back.

Thanks

Lori