MADMAX22

stingray hides from ebay ?

Hey guys jsut wondering if anyone has purchased any of the stingray hides from ebay. I was wanting to play with one or two to see if I liked them for doing different things and about the only place I have found them is on ebay.

Are they any good. Pretty much just one shop that sends them from thailand I believe. I know most of ya proably dont liek ebay but sometimes I have found it to be a pretty good resource for variouse things. I am going to be doing my girlfriends motorcycle seat and would like to do something interesting and different. Its for a little sport bike (aka crotchrocket). Dont worry Im slowly trying to get her onto a cruiser. Anyways I think it would look really cool just it would take 2 or 3 average size skins for the seat.

Thanks for any input.

Hey guys jsut wondering if anyone has purchased any of the stingray hides from ebay. I was wanting to play with one or two to see if I liked them for doing different things and about the only place I have found them is on ebay.

Are they any good. Pretty much just one shop that sends them from thailand I believe.

Thanks for any input.

[/quote

Max,

they're really pretty good. I've purchased hides from several different Thai companies & so far, have had no complaints about the quality. They ship airmail & it's pretty quick, considering it comes from the far side of the earth (at least, for us US'ers...) Some are more expensive than others, & that tends to be a factor of: 1] the size of the hide &, 2] whether or not the luminous white diamond is small, large, non-existent or (instead of a diamond) is a stripe running down the entire length of the hide.

There is, as of today, someone offering stingray scraps- but the diamonds all look to be missing.

Also, Springfield Leather has (or did, several months ago, anyway) hides. You'll have to call them to find out (no, I don't have the number handy: pull up the site & look it up yourselves).

Anyway, stingray is very neat & interesting stuff to work with. Good luck. I think you'll likeit.

russ

Edited by whinewine

OK thanks for the input. I think Ill try a couple of places and give springfeild a call. Sounds like fun. Any suggestions for using this stuff. What do you seal it with if anything? Im sure once I get it Ill have a bunch of questions for you guys that have used it before.

OK thanks for the input. I think Ill try a couple of places and give springfeild a call. Sounds like fun. Any suggestions for using this stuff. What do you seal it with if anything? Im sure once I get it Ill have a bunch of questions for you guys that have used it before.

The surface is composed of hard, calcium-like dots. It doesn't need a particular type of sealer, but I'll often use neatlac.

Thanks for the help and links guys.

I got a few from Thailand off Ebay - got them in a week. The price was a lot less than I could get from US suppliers and the quality was excellent

Hi Max,

When I do a wrap on a knife handles (nylon flat cord over ray), I use polyurethane liquid glue like this as a sealer, it pretty much self levels as I apply pretty thin.

Art

Well just wanted to reply and say that I bought one stingray hide to check the quality and such and maybe learn too play with it. Got it from the acazii guy that sells most of them on ebay. Very good quality from what I can tell. Pretty quick shipment considering it came from half way around the globe. Nice eye and the scaly portion is sanded or whatever they do so it has a nice gloss finish to to the top of the little scales or whatever and is nice and flexible. Looks to be pretty tough stuff so I should have some fun for whatever I decide to use it on.

Well just wanted to reply and say that I bought one stingray hide to check the quality and such and maybe learn too play with it. Got it from the acazii guy that sells most of them on ebay. Very good quality from what I can tell. Pretty quick shipment considering it came from half way around the globe. Nice eye and the scaly portion is sanded or whatever they do so it has a nice gloss finish to to the top of the little scales or whatever and is nice and flexible. Looks to be pretty tough stuff so I should have some fun for whatever I decide to use it on.

Pictures? We love pictures!!

Marlon

Pictures? We love pictures!!

Marlon

Heres the best that I could get with the camera I have. Atleast give ya an idea.

good_pic_1.JPG

good_pic_2.JPG

good_pic_3.JPG

post-5781-1218274040_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1218274067_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1218274074_thumb.jpg

Heres the best that I could get with the camera I have. Atleast give ya an idea.

Fantastic quality. At least from what I can see.

Thanks for posting.

Marlon