DoubleC

I Just Bought Out Singer :-)

My Singer 15-91 sews about the same as yours does on leather. It is okay up to about 1/8 to 3/16 inch, then it gets very hard to penetrate additional layers or feed them without dragging down the stitch length. It only uses thin #69 thread (11 pound test). I did try to use a #20 needle and #138 thread in mine and almost blew up the motor.

You can buy a solid state control pedal that will give you much better control of the motor. I got mine from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. I had to wire it up, but from what I read from you, wiring a pedal won't be a problem.

BTW: I bought my 15-91 from a local Salvation Army store for $75.00 plus tax. I now have about $175 in it, after buying replacement parts, an even-feed foot and the solid state pedal.

My Singer 15-91 sews about the same as yours does on leather. It is okay up to about 1/8 to 3/16 inch, then it gets very hard to penetrate additional layers or feed them without dragging down the stitch length. It only uses thin #69 thread (11 pound test). I did try to use a #20 needle and #138 thread in mine and almost blew up the motor.

You can buy a solid state control pedal that will give you much better control of the motor. I got mine from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. I had to wire it up, but from what I read from you, wiring a pedal won't be a problem.

BTW: I bought my 15-91 from a local Salvation Army store for $75.00 plus tax. I now have about $175 in it, after buying replacement parts, an even-feed foot and the solid state pedal.

I know Wiz, you mentioned what you had in it. Why don't you sell it hon since you don't use it? You could that price any day of the week out of it. I'd line every wall in my house with them if I could :-) Once I got the tension right I was able to go from material to material with an 80 needle and quilting thread. OK, I didn't do this earlier because I thought, oh Cheryl who cares, but I have to show you before and after pics if you'll indulge me. I'll talk to Bob about the foot (nice job on his website, now put an order form of some sort on there please?)

Cheryl;

I guess I like the little bugger, especially after all the time I put into rebuilding the motor and associated gears. It will still make a nice on-location machine for hemming things, or repairing dress belts on location (flea markets, bike shows, etc). It is in a carrying case, not a table.

Now I understand the speed problem you have. That old pushbutton foot pedal is not easily controlled, especially when it is so old. The pot pedal that came with mine finally lost its slow speeds and I had to replace it. Wish I'd done that sooner.

I have one I'm sitting here looking at an electronic one that I got from sew-classic with other parts that I didn't use, ended up putting my old one back on. I told her I was returning this one. I think I will for sure now and get one of Bob's. Yeah the one button foot controllers are hard to use, especially since I know 10 times more about the machines than I do sewing :-)

I guess I like the little bugger, especially after all the time I put into rebuilding the motor and associated gears.

I recently started a Singer (or sewing machine) anonymous :-) SMA...there's three of us so far, another one here and a girl in California who bought two of my machines, wanna join? You acted last time like you just as soon kick yours to the curb as look at it, but you didn't fool me. I've seen you have different machines for sale on here, but not that one since I've been a member. You can admit it, the minute you touch one of these black iron and usually tons of rust Singers, and cussing bring it back to usefulness you're addicted :-) Seriously it is hard Wiz because you realize you just gave usefulness for another 100 years to something that was headed to a scrap heap. Try that with one of these plastic things that pass for sewing machines these days. The 15-91 is inelegant, short, squat, plain decals, and usually has chips and clear coat loss because they WERE used so much. They remind me of Halflingers next to a beautiful black Percheron. Anyone can BUY a machine, bringing it back from near extinction feels totally different!

.... You can admit it, the minute you touch one of these black iron and usually tons of rust Singers, and cussing bring it back to usefulness you're addicted :-)

Ya got me figured out Pilgrim. I admit being addicted to old sewing machines.

I think there's a lot of that going around. There is just something about them, and I swear I can't name it. But it's real and I can just look at one and smile.