Sign in to follow this  

Been awhile since I posted any pics of my work. Feel free to comment, criticize, question, make fun of, or use for inspiration or ideas. I get a lot out of looking at photos you all post and figured I would post some more of mine. Thanks for looking!

Dan

Some newish holsters and whatnot:

(click the thumbnails for bigger pics)

Dual layer gunbelt with random stitching that matched customers boots:

th_IMG_4239Large.jpg

FEG Hi-Power clone in a pancake holster with elephant trim

th_IMG_4254Large.jpg

Ruger SR9c Snapcake

th_sr9csc.jpg

Sig P250c IWB-5 Tuckable

th_p250ciwb5.jpg

Sig P226 Thumb Break Pancake

th_229TB.jpg

Glock 26/27/33 IWB-5 Tuckable

th_g26iwb5.jpg

Part of a batch of green holsters I did for a St. Patricks Day special

th_green2.jpg

Ruger LCP Pocket Holster with Bullfrog Skin

th_froglcp.jpg

Steyr M9A1 Pancake

th_m9a1.jpg

3" 1911 Clamshell holster with Stingray Inlay

th_IMG_4489Custom.jpg

Commander 1911 pancake with Cape Buffalo trim panel

th_IMG_4515Custom.jpg

Glock Compact IWB-6 "The Jakester" reinforced mouth version of the IWB-1

th_g19iwb6.jpg

Sharkskin Magnetic Money Clip

th_sharkclip2.jpg th_sharkclip1.jpg

Very nice , clean work .

This isn't directed at you , but why decorative accents ( exotic trim ) , on a concealment rig . Guess I'm jus a form follows function type guy . That said , great work !

I like the pocket holster ( an unappreciated genere ) , and the Jakester best .

Chris

Hi Chris

re exotics: I like them because the only thing more politically incorrect that carrying a firearm is carrying it in the skin of a dead animal, the more endangered the better!

For most people though I'd guess it makes the holster more "theirs" than a store bought mass produced rig while adding a touch of beauty.

I'm not sure how many states are Open Carry states nowadays. I dont do a lot of IWB holsters with exotics but I certainly do a lot of OWB's that way,

I appreciate the comments!

I really like the Elephant, the Cape Buffalo, and the thumb break rig. Sure wish I could do detail boning like that!

-Robert

Great work! Fantastic boning! What are you using to bone in those lines?

I think the reason to have exotic trim on a concealment rig is so the owner can look at it and enjoy it when they aren't wearing it. And of course to show their shooting buddies when they come over. I like to leave some of my nicer looking holsters laying around on my desk, just so I can admire them.

Mighty fine looking stuff. Good job Shooter.

Thanks all!

For detail boning, I use my thumbs to get the basic outlines, the use one or both of these Tandy tools.

Craftool Plastic Bone Folder

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8116-00.aspx

Horn Creaser

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8118-01.aspx

Shooter, Very nice work. If you don't mind me asking, what black dye are you using and how do you keep it from rubbing off onto guns on the interior? Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

For the majority of my black items I use Wickett & Craig drum dyed saddle skirting. Some of the sides I get from them are light on the back after being split so I use Fiebings Pro Oil Dye on the interior and the edges. After wetforming I use neetsfoot oil, and then after a day or so for it to absorb, a nice buffing with wool shearling and then my sealant is applied inside and out.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Hi Bob,

For the majority of my black items I use Wickett & Craig drum dyed saddle skirting. Some of the sides I get from them are light on the back after being split so I use Fiebings Pro Oil Dye on the interior and the edges. After wetforming I use neetsfoot oil, and then after a day or so for it to absorb, a nice buffing with wool shearling and then my sealant is applied inside and out.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Thanks for the info.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Hope that helps.

Dan

Shooter, could you elaborate on what you use as a sealant on these holsters?

Thanks.

Jake,

I switched up a few months back to using the gallon jugs of sealant from Weaver Leather, I thinks its called Leather Kote, mixed 1:1 with distilled water.

Jake,

I switched up a few months back to using the gallon jugs of sealant from Weaver Leather, I thinks its called Leather Kote, mixed 1:1 with distilled water.

Thanks, Shooter. I found your earlier post on Springfield's finish. I think I'll try the Weaver's.

Jake

Hi Chris

re exotics: I like them because the only thing more politically incorrect that carrying a firearm is carrying it in the skin of a dead animal, the more endangered the better!

For most people though I'd guess it makes the holster more "theirs" than a store bought mass produced rig while adding a touch of beauty.

I'm not sure how many states are Open Carry states nowadays. I dont do a lot of IWB holsters with exotics but I certainly do a lot of OWB's that way,

How thick is spotted owl leather? (just kidding) :nono:

Awesome work as always Shooter...personally, im with you...i love the exotics...it personalizes the holster... thats what makes it custom..ive got some elephant ive been trying to figure out how to use for about a month now..cognac ...it just dosnt fit anything...i might tie it into a knife sheath for a buddy...and yes, the more exotic the better...duck billed platypus would be great..lol...love the belt to..very not off the shelf...keep it up muse...

Hi Chris