IngleGunLeather

Help With Cobra Class 4

I haven't made any adjustments to the machine. It has been working flawlessly up until this morning. I went to sew up a mag pouch and the presser foot started sticking in the up position. I've lubricated everything and it still sticks.

Well, after a few minutes of double checking everything. I found that the presser foot adjustment nut was the cause. I'll readjust the pressure and tighten it up.

It needs oil! Put a few drops of sewing machine oil inside the adjuster and let it drip down around the presser bar. Lift the rubber covers on top of the head and fill the holes with oil.

I also remove the faceplate (two screws only) from my and my buddy's 441 machines and apply oil to all of the tiny oil holes hidden inside the face, dealing with the needle and presser bars and take-up parts. Of course, one needs to line up the arm that separates the top tension disks when reassembling the faceplate.

I have a Cobra 4 and early on experienced the same problem. On my machine the tension bolt (used to adjust the tension) has the center hole a bit out of true. Thus when you rotate the tension bolt it tightens and loosens on the pressure foot shaft as you make a single turn. If your bolt does the same simply adjust the bolt to the location (during a single revolution) where it feels the easiest to turn. This means that its hole is in the best alignment with the pressure foot rod at that point. This should solve your pressure foot sticking problems (along with using plenty of oil to lubricate the pressure foot rod in its shaft).

I have a Cobra 4 and early on experienced the same problem. On my machine the tension bolt (used to adjust the tension) has the center hole a bit out of true. Thus when you rotate the tension bolt it tightens and loosens on the pressure foot shaft as you make a single turn. If your bolt does the same simply adjust the bolt to the location (during a single revolution) where it feels the easiest to turn. This means that its hole is in the best alignment with the pressure foot rod at that point. This should solve your pressure foot sticking problems (along with using plenty of oil to lubricate the pressure foot rod in its shaft).

I concur. I just tried this (specific rotation position of pressure adjuster) on my CB4500, with the same results. Who woulda thunk it?

I concur. I just tried this (specific rotation position of pressure adjuster) on my CB4500, with the same results. Who woulda thunk it?

Guess which machine assemblers in China use common main casting and part suppliers for at least certain parts on their 441 clones? Interesting!

My Cobra 4 decided to stick in the up position today, exactly as you described.  Wiz, what are ribber covers?  I can't find any reference to them in the parts list that came with my machine.  Also, when you say remove the faceplate, are you talking about taking all the parts off so you can completely remove it, or just the plate screws so you can see inside?  Thanks!

Mike

31 minutes ago, Mike Craw said:

My Cobra 4 decided to stick in the up position today, exactly as you described.  Wiz, what are ribber covers?  I can't find any reference to them in the parts list that came with my machine.  Also, when you say remove the faceplate, are you talking about taking all the parts off so you can completely remove it, or just the plate screws so you can see inside?  Thanks!

Mike

I meant to type "rubber" covers. I just corrected it. lol

There are two bolts securing the faceplate to the left top of the machine. Unscrew them and pull the plate off. All the cranks inside have little oil holes. Failure to oil these cranks may lead to the machine seizing or binding, as happened to a friend's Cobra Class 4. He simply didn't know about opening the plate to access those little holes.

Atleast this is an easy fix. Try fixing the reverse stitch on the older 441 clones, seems it either tracks or doesnt.