I recently pick up this little snub nose K-frame that has replaced my 4" as an always on me gun. Ashamed and somewhat of a hypocrite when working at the shop late nights I'd tuck it Mexican style walking to my truck as I hadn't had time to make any leather for it. I decided to give this style a try as it seemed it would lend well to a compact package. I already know a few things I would do differently but would like to here some different opinions. I think the 'wings' need to extend further from the gun and possibly be wider. I haven't had a snap come undone but the rig really seems to tug at them and I'm somewhat worried about it trying to tip out as it breaks in.

12-2.jpg

22.jpg

32.jpg

post-19170-038516000 1335759784_thumb.jp

post-19170-063838000 1335759789_thumb.jp

post-19170-047193300 1335759794_thumb.jp

I would make the straps wider. Everything else looks great!

I made one with narrow straps and not enough width on the "wings". It was my first one. I had made a prototype, but never got it to a wearable state, which was a mistake.

I sent it off and the customer thought it was putting too much stress on the forward snap using a wilderness instructor's belt. The one-way snap never came undone, but he didn't like it and sent it back. I wore it for a week and made some design changes.

I widened the wings and the straps, made one for me and wore it for a week. Then I made one for the customer and included a magazine holder with it. The customer is very pleased with this one. I like mine, too. The new one has replaceable straps, since they will wear out before the body. With two snaps per strap, I didn't see the need for the one-way ones and just used Tandy snaps.

post-11930-079653900 1335840860_thumb.jp

post-11930-035143300 1335840878_thumb.jp

Edited by steelhawk

Thank you both!

Steelhawk, how are you attaching the snaps/straps, machine screws?

6/32 T-nuts and a tapered head screw, with blue loctite to keep the screw from loosening up. I put Resolene over the area where the straps go, and on the back of the straps, then a little wax over that area, before actually putting the straps on. I think the wax keeps the squeaks down, but don't really know.

Edited by steelhawk