Sign in to follow this  
Tenpoundsledgehammer

The Cajun Connection

Hello everybody!

I'm Trey, and live just east of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I've been tinkering about with leather since I was a kid. I love the way it smells, the way it feels in my hands, and the enjoyment of bending it to my creativity. Even though my dad was a pretty fair hand with leather, I've never had anyone teach me how to do anything. I'm all self taught, with a lot of trial and error along the way. I've recently gotten back into leather crafting after a rather long hiatus, and as soon as word spread around I started getting requests for different items and pieces. All of the sudden, I find myself with a long list of projects and officially in business. Oddly enough, the articles most often requested are restraints and floggers. Doesn't matter much to me, though. If there's a demand for kinky stuff like that, then I'm more than happy to supply it. ;)

As far as my strengths are concerned, I'm good at design, complex cuts, riveting, hand stitching, and durable construction. By far, my weakest areas are in etching, stamping, and embossing.

I hope to meet the rest of you folks soon! :)

~Trey~

Welcome, Trey! I was born and raised in Baton Rouge! I moved to Atlanta back in 2001 and have been here since. Man, I miss the food and the people there! I go home to visit usually every year at Mardi Gras.

Nice to know a fellow leatherworker with the same roots. :) Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Welcome Trey. I live in Metairie. Some Saturday you might want to cruise down here to visit the Tandy Leather Factory. Russ the manager is a pretty good dude and Christine, his senior staff member, is pretty awesome too. They are both very knowledgeable and very helpful. Arthur

Hi there, Hellcat, Greg, and Arthur! Nice to meet y'all! Good to know I'm not the only south Louisiana resident on here. :spoton:

@Hellcat - I know where you're coming from. I lived just north of Chicago and in Polk County Fla. each a year, and I couldn't believe how much I missed home. The good folks, great music, fantastic food, and even the crooked politics! I still tell the story every once and a while about trying to describe crawfish boils, and how to peel the little suckers to a bunch of people up in Chicago. One of the poor girls was so grossed out that she couldn't finish the rest of her lunch. Silly Yankees. :lol:

@Greg - I know exactly where that's at. Not a bad little place. :)

@Arthur - I've heard about the Metairie Tandy. It's not that long a drive, and I can get a hold of materials a whole heck of a lot faster that way. I'm glad they have some good staff members working for them. I'd hate to see that location go east with the geese like the Baton Rouge location did so long ago. (I'm still pretty miffed about that, even though I was still a kid when it closed.) It's got to be pretty awesome to have everything you need right across town, huh? I'm sure I'll wind up there eventually. And when I do, it's going to be like a kid in a candy store. :P

i ordered a few tools from tansy's website and they shipped out of the metarie store. in the comments field of my order i requested that they draw, on the box, mickey mouse riding a chopper. they did it, but mickey looked more like a bear than a mouse. my family got a real good laugh thanks to their good nature.

Glad to see all you folks here in Louisiana. I live in Eunice and we are trying to get a guild going over here. It would sure be nice to meet all of you. I have a country place about out of Eunice where we meet the second Tuesday of the month. Sure would like to have you stop by. Matter of fact how about we come up with a date that would work for everyone interested and meet at my place.

We could have a good cajun meal to boot. I would be more then happy to host the thing. Also if you have a better half , bring them along also. You can reach me at bparrie@bellsouth.net

Let me hear from all of you.

Best regards,

Bill Parrie

@Greg - That's awesome! It's always good to hear that some people haven't lost their sense of humor! If ya can't laugh, then there's something wrong. LOL

@Bill - Nice to meetcha! That's a great idea. I don't know when the heck I'll be able to find the time to get over there, but I'll definitely try to carve out some time here in the near future. I work a full time job, and then I get home and work on my leather projects. I try to spend as much time as I can with my munchkins too, so my "free time" is pretty limited. I'll do what I can and keep you posted for sure though!

Bill, I actually live in Robert's Cove, few folks know where that is so it's easier to say Rayne. My kids go to Karate in Eunice, so when I am home (every 3rd week) I go to Eunice, twice.

Welcome Trey glad to have you join us. My daughter works for the Harley shop in Baton Rogue.

Welcome Trey glad to have you join us. My daughter works for the Harley shop in Baton Rogue.

Thank ya! I'm happy to be a part of the community! :)

That's on Seigen Ln., isn't it? Close to Airline Hwy?

Edited by Tenpoundsledgehammer