Didn't think about doing that to the existing tube. Center punch, run a pilot hole and step it from there. Hardest part will be keeping it straight if doing it with a hand drill, if you got a drill press it would be simple to make a quick jig outta a piece of wood.

I was thinking a jig from a piece of wood with a V shaped notch and using a small vice to hold it and the tube. I do have a drill press... :)

Found this while I was looking at dragon pictures hoping for inspiration to strike..

Dragon-in-bag-1.jpg

Added to my things to make when I get good enough list... :)

I've still no ideas for the challenge though..

I've still no ideas for the challenge though..

Dom:

Try searching for "Dragon coloring pages" They are usually simple.

S

Try searching for "Dragon coloring pages" They are usually simple.

:rofl:

And you kept a straight face while saying it

:clapping:

It's not the dragon that's the issue, it's thinking of something to make that I'd want to put a dragon on..

:lol:

It's not the dragon that's the issue, it's thinking of something to make that I'd want to put a dragon on..

:lol:

LOL I thought you might get a kick out of that one.

I'm full of ideas. Pick one. if you have enough leather.

Rubbish bin

toilet tissue cover

remote control tray

toaster cover

guitar pick guard.

spats

Hat/visor

First aid bag

sewing kit

sporran

Beer can cozy

Flower pot cover

mouse pad

desk blotter

three legged stool

Milking stool (the one legged kind)

Lamp shade

umbrella holder

Book ends

and of course the usual things

wallet, purse, cigarette case

key fob, belt, etc.

[Here is my piece

post-31111-095950600 1336772898_thumb.jppost-31111-039377900 1336772933_thumb.jppost-31111-038934500 1336773060_thumb.jp

Edited by kndust

[Here is my piece

Good job! You might want to try smoothing out those beveler marks with your modeling spoon.

Overall I think you did awesome for your first challenge. Bravo!

S

Here is my piece

What tools did you use on it?

sorry I forgot to list tools I used swivel knife, beveler and modeling tool

What tools did you use on it?

I will thanks for the input

Good job! You might want to try smoothing out those beveler marks with your modeling spoon.

Overall I think you did awesome for your first challenge. Bravo!

S

it's still great, so I really don't want to take away from the job you did by giving more advice :), but I have to since that's how we all get better and succeed.

It looks like you may also need to work on your casing, and probably sharpen up the knife quite a bit. Beveling takes A LOT of practice to really get it clean looking. I struggled with it for a really long time. If your knife is anything like my beginner one was/is, all it's doing is compressing the leather and not actually cutting it. Mine came with a completely rounded edge and I used it like that for a little while stupidly thinking that that's how it was supposed to be because there's no way they'd send a knife that was supposed to be sharpened with a visibly round edge on it.

it's still great, so I really don't want to take away from the job you did by giving more advice :), but I have to since that's how we all get better and succeed.

It looks like you may also need to work on your casing, and probably sharpen up the knife quite a bit. Beveling takes A LOT of practice to really get it clean looking. I struggled with it for a really long time. If your knife is anything like my beginner one was/is, all it's doing is compressing the leather and not actually cutting it. Mine came with a completely rounded edge and I used it like that for a little while stupidly thinking that that's how it was supposed to be because there's no way they'd send a knife that was supposed to be sharpened with a visibly round edge on it.

again thank you for the info I just got back into doing leather since haveing a stroke back in 01 so I need all the help I can get right now

again thank you for the info I just got back into doing leather since haveing a stroke back in 01 so I need all the help I can get right now

Well, we're glad to have you back :)

I just started this year myself, so all those struggles are pretty fresh in my head (ok, they still exist).

It looks like a piece of 4-5oz leather which is very thin, so you can't really get to deep with the knife. It juts looks to me that the beveling and spoon smashed the knife marks.

I know very well cause that is what I ended up using for the door panels, but the trick with leather that thin is not to do to much other than the cuts and a light bevel.

Thanks for participating!

I am way to swamped this month to do this challenge but I will enjoy the back seat:) LOL

I have three designs ready to go, but no time to get them started.

Maybe with the May long weekend (Victoria Day in Canada)..I've got a 4 days off, sort of.

Sylvia, yours make me ashamed to put up what I have so far. I did this last night for the seat of a camp stool. The picture is a fire dragon so I still have to do all the cracks in the dragon before I start the coloring process. But it was so fun to do something that was ALMOST not work related. I'm going to use the camp stool at the farmers market so it still is kinda. But it was so fun to do something other than an eye looking back at me. So this is dragon 1 and I hope you don't mind me putting it up as i progress because I haven't had time to enter in a challenge in so long. I'm just taking the time right now.

I used a stylus, swivel knife, beveler, and pear shader (I STILL don't have any background tools) The cracks in the dragon will be done with the stylus from looking at the picture.

I used a stylus, swivel knife, beveler, and pear shader (I STILL don't have any background tools) The cracks in the dragon will be done with the stylus from looking at the picture.

How big is the dragon? It would probably be better to hit it with the swivel knife using a light touch instead of the stylus. That way the marks will be a little more forgiving to the constant wear and tear of a butt sliding around on them :rofl:

How did you KNOW I had a big butt? LOL. The dragon is 6 inches across and 4 & 1/2 down. All the space I didn't tool anything (on the dragon) needs the cracks in it, then the cracks need to be various colors of orange and white while the background needs to be various shades of dark purple. The 'rocks' or lava or whatever is black with orange reflecting off the tops or sides, whatever is closest to the dragon. It's going to take a while to finish, LOL. And if I get 1/2 that color right I'll consider myself much improved. I could use my swivel knife too, either will work. I was just thinking the rounded depression made by the stylus would give me something easier to paint orange, a little wider depression. I'm actually not sure how forgiving all the painting will be to a butt sliding around on it. Maybe I should do a light dye over all of it first, saddle tan maybe in case the paint wears. And put 42 coats of leather sheen on it rofl.gif

Oh for god's sake, I cut the da*m leather wrong, a three legged stool doesn't have 4 freaking corners, it has three. I'm going to lose part of the dragon when I cut it right. I give up, I really do.

You'll be fine. Think of a triangle with curved sides, kind of like the celtic Trinity symbol or something. That will save your work and give you the right shape too.

As for the swivel knife vs. stylus - I would still cut it and if you want to open up the lines a little with the stylus or even running the beveler over it by hand (just slide it along like the knife), that would open everything up to take color easier and still make the tooling last longer. I find myself using my speed beveler like this all the time on decorative cuts to double bevel them lightly and open them up a little bit. That's what I did on the belly/neck of my dragon.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Well since I went to so much trouble to center this, I am going to lose part of the dragon no matter which way I go. So I'm getting ready to make a 1/2" frame for it with 4 short legs, lace it all the way around with rawhide instead of stapling it, or tacking it, whatever, and use it for my laptop in my lap, my lap desk in my lap or my dinner plate while I'm watching tv. Make it like a square breakfast tray. That way I can enjoy it all the time, and not lose the work I put into it. I'm just glad I didn't start tooling or carving the second camp stool.

Well I just put the piece of leather on my lap and that ain't gonna work either. I'd have to angle the llegs a lot because I sit cross legged and so my lap is wider than 12 inches. I think I'm gonna make it a frisbee for the dog, grrrrrr.

I am gonna use my swivel knife though like you suggested. This is the picture I'm trying to reproduce

OK Allen, I got a grip on my feelings, LOL and every dot and mark on the dragon so far was done with a swivel knife, then I went over every one with my stylus. Is this what you meant? (My arm and hand is pretty tired, LOL)

Sylvia, yours make me ashamed to put up what I have so far.

Hey! That is really good CC! Now go form it into a tray for your TV remote, keys, and trinkets, since you think it will be too small for your stool and laptop tray.

Thank you Sylvia, but it's not good. It's not bad considering I don't practice like I should with making products but I know good swivel knife use and beveling when I see it, and this ain't it. But I'm going to round it and still use it for a stool, even if I lose some of the dragon and my but will wipe out those overcuts and swivel marks eventually, LOL

The idea's there and that's the important part. I'm promising myself I'm going to get to work on my friend's wallet tonight (sorry, shovelheads took priority last night), so I'll grab a piece of scrap while I'm at it and do a side by side showing the technique.