Grabagear

3Rd Holster. Looking For Feedback.

Hi. I'm a total newbie but found a new hobby. I posted in the critique my work section and new member section but after reading in the holster forum all day at work I thought I would post here too. Excuse the punisher skull carving. I was practicing and since it turned out ok I thought I would use it. I think I will work on my holsters more before I try and start tooling them all.

98f3f77b.jpg

19b6bcab.jpg

And if it wasn't for the skull I would have run another stitch line closer to the gun.

Hi. I'm a total newbie but found a new hobby. I posted in the critique my work section and new member section but after reading in the holster forum all day at work I thought I would post here too. Excuse the punisher skull carving. I was practicing and since it turned out ok I thought I would use it. I think I will work on my holsters more before I try and start tooling them all

And if it wasn't for the skull I would have run another stitch line closer to the gun.

Just one more comment from the old grump; Anywhere you have corner --- round it, even on the backing for the clip. Any sharp cut corner in leather will ultimately fray out. Mike

Just one more comment from the old grump; Anywhere you have corner --- round it, even on the backing for the clip. Any sharp cut corner in leather will ultimately fray out. Mike

Another good tip! Thank you and I will!

I'll note that I would add a bit more clearance to the trigger guard area to allow for a full and unimpeded grip....

If you'll take a look at many of the holsters on here and on commercial sites, you'll notice either a close profile to the weapon or if there's more holster than weapon that there is a stitch line that follows the profile of the gun.

The stitch line is there because eventually, the leather WILL stretch and the molding will no longer be sufficient to keep the weapon in position. The stitching helps (and usually eliminates the issue) by limiting the amount of stretch that the leather can have. Though there will still be some stretching, the stitching around the profile acts much like a 'frame' for the pocket in which the weapon rests. I also agree with the previous posts on corners and grip clearance.

Be sure to read on here about bonding the leather when joining two piece (or folding a piece over onto itself).

OF CRITICAL IMPORTANCE: Double check where you have the mag release covered by the holster and BE SURE that you won't inadvertently press that button. At the range, you'll earn a new nick name from your friends if the magazine falls free when you level the pistol.....in real life, it could be deadly.

I'll second the mag release clearance and clearance to get a solid grip. It's something I constantly check. Regripping mid draw is no fun.

Thanks for all the help! My next one will def be better

We all learn by doing... good start. Have fun. Ultimately, thats what a hobby is for, to have fun.... being able to build a useful product and enjoy it with others is all icing on the cake. If every holster I ever made turned out perfect the first time around, I probably wouldn't have continued with the hobby, as it would have gotten boring. Making mistakes, figuring out how to solve them and trying again, is what makes this interesting. Now you have a reference point and some things to work on... Have fun making your next holster EVEN BETTER.

-Tac

We all learn by doing... good start. Have fun. Ultimately, thats what a hobby is for, to have fun.... being able to build a useful product and enjoy it with others is all icing on the cake. If every holster I ever made turned out perfect the first time around, I probably wouldn't have continued with the hobby, as it would have gotten boring. Making mistakes, figuring out how to solve them and trying again, is what makes this interesting. Now you have a reference point and some things to work on... Have fun making your next holster EVEN BETTER.

-Tac

Thanks!