DoubleC

Oblong Punch That Won't, Grrrrrr

You can get a whetstone or oil stone at a hardware store. Home depot etc. If you can t afford a maul at the moment try a section of wood. I have used a 4x4 at times. Just cut the end down a little do you can hold it. There are many leathercrafters in other countries that only use a hunk of wood as a Maul. I have a length or an oak branch that works real well. If you have fire place wood you can probably pick a piece from the wood pile that will work.

I understand waiting for the first of the month :)

Michael

Hey I recognize that punch. It's the same one I bought..."it's like half the price of the osborne one and almost as good...". Pigs behind it is ! Art nailed it. Send it back to whatever hell it came from and get a decent one.

Edited by Anacott Steel

CSO used to make trade punches marked ADCO, they were pretty good also. If you see one with a good price on it, buy it.

Art

P.S. You, of course, will have to sharpen it.

Hey I recognize that punch. It's the same one I bought..."it's like half the price of the osborne one and almost as good...". Pigs behind it is ! Art nailed it. Send it back to whatever hell it came from and get a decent one.

Thanks guys, I am sending the punch back, have been in touch with seller who asked if I took the plastic off the outside of the head head_hurts_kr.gifOK I'm an idiot, but I didn't even have to, it was INSIDE the punch itself instead of protecting the head as it should. So I'm taking everyone's advice....Send it back, get a good punch and make myself a wooden maul for now. I have plenty of wood available from my favorite store, my landlord's things in the basement. He always has tons of things he has left over from doing repairs here. And I have a saw and sander and I'll make a wooden deadblow type of thing for now. As it is now I have to sell the guitar strap for a bazillion dollars just to recoup and still don't have any good tools.

Art I'm sorry, I am an idiot about somethings, who is CSO or is that their actual name? I don't mind sharpening it if it's going to do the job afterward. Sylvia even download a video on here from youtube that shows how to use the whetstone right. Thanks all of you, Cheryl

C.S.Osborne

Art

Thanks guys, I am sending the punch back, have been in touch with seller who asked if I took the plastic off the outside of the head head_hurts_kr.gifOK I'm an idiot, but I didn't even have to, it was INSIDE the punch itself instead of protecting the head as it should. So I'm taking everyone's advice....Send it back, get a good punch and make myself a wooden maul for now. I have plenty of wood available from my favorite store, my landlord's things in the basement. He always has tons of things he has left over from doing repairs here. And I have a saw and sander and I'll make a wooden deadblow type of thing for now. As it is now I have to sell the guitar strap for a bazillion dollars just to recoup and still don't have any good tools.

Art I'm sorry, I am an idiot about somethings, who is CSO or is that their actual name? I don't mind sharpening it if it's going to do the job afterward. Sylvia even download a video on here from youtube that shows how to use the whetstone right. Thanks all of you, Cheryl

Sorry Art, I should have known that. I'll see if Bruce has one for the first of the month. I have a nice person who read this and is sending me a mallet to borrow for a few months. I just got my strap end punch from SLC, and again went a few bucks cheaper and it's GUESS what.....? Tandy. But since it won't need the brute force the oblong takes, and also can be sharpened easier, I'm going to try it on a belt I'm starting. If it doesn't work the first time, will strop it and try again before I send it back. Know I have some wood up here in the apartment already I can whack it with. If I send it back, I'll get one from Bruce too. I like vintage everything, all my household things from furniture are vintage or antique. Also if Bruce doesn't have the oblong, I think SLC has Osborne and I'll ask them what number it is before I order it. Thanks for giving me the guts to say, 'it's not me, it's the lousy tool, send it back.' Cheryl

Something like this would be a good begining (and cheap) sharpening stone: http://www.harborfreight.com/combination-sharpening-stone-7345.html A local hardware store should have something similar for about the same price.

For a maul, you could try a brass hammer. They're used when you want to make sure you don't marr what ever you're hitting, and also where a spark is a very bad thing. Usually pretty cheap, they come in different sizes.

When you get the money, get a better sharpening stone: http://www.amazon.com/TRI-6-Arkansas-TRI-HONE-Sharpening-System/dp/B00062BIT4 something like this is usually a good place to start. You have three grits, so you can go from nasty bench-grinder marks to almost no marks at all, all on the same set. Then hit whatever it is you're sharpening with the strop.

I took an ultra cheap pair of scissors from nasty dull (couldn't cut flesh at all) to ultrasharp (I ended up with at least a dozen nicks in my hands) in a short Sunday afternoon with that stone set, and that was before the strop.

I got one of those stones for about $10 at Home Depot